Fuel Line Help

Guest DaveZZZ

Guest imported_DaveZZZ

Hi Folks. Need some advice on a very minor repair I really want to get done tonight, since I had plans for the car tomorrow.

It's a 67 ninety eight with the 425. This is how the car came to me: The metal fuel line comes from the pump, maybe 1". From there a short section of rubber fuel line is clamped on, and the other end of the rubber line is clamped on to an in-line filer. A second rubber line is clamped to the filter and then to the carb inlet. Did that make sense?

It is obvious that this was done some time ago. It looks to me like the rubber lines are going to come apart at any time, and I decided that, for safety reasons, I need to replace them ASAP. My question centers around this inline filter. I am assuming that this is not factory, but rather is there because the tank is old and full of who knows what. But I can not find any markings on the in-line filter to tell me what it is (to buy a replacement). So:

1. Is this factory?

2. What would be a suitable replacement?

3. Is there a filter in the carb on this (I assume so, but I cut my teeth on 70's cars, so I don't know what is different when you move back another decade). 425 4-bbl, 10.5 CR

Alternatively, I could just leave the filters alone and do only the lines. But since I am taking it apart anyway...

I was hoping to get the stuff I need on the way home from work tonight because I promised I would take the wife to dinner tonight, and I know that by the time I actually get to this, the store will be closed.

Thanks a million!

Dave

Not uncommon to find a rubber fuel line with inline filter on an older car that originally had steel. My guess is that the original fuel line got twisted or broke trying to replace the fuel pump or the fuel filter in the carb inlet, and the rubber line was cobbled up to get the car back on the road. I don't really like rubber fuel line on the pressure side of the fuel pump, but it'll work until you can repair it right.

Olds have 3/8" fuel lines, so get some 3/8" fuel hose, and a 3/8" fuel filter (AutoZone's Deutsch brand p/n is FF419, metal body filter). Then simply replace everything. While you're at it, get enough fuel hose to replace the fuel pump suction and return hoses too.

It should have a steel fuel line pump to carb. You can get a reproduction steel line from the various Olds vendors. Order one for a 1966-67 400 with QuadraJet and it should fit properly. Fusick's part number for that application is 6603FL, $19.50.

The 1967 car should have a side inlet QuadraJet. If it's been replaced with a later carb with a front fuel inlet, you'll need a steel line for a 1968-later 400 or 455.

Before you go taking stuff apart at the carb, check to make sure the carb hasn't had an oversize fuel inlet fitting installed. Old QuadraJets are notorious for stripping the threads out of the fuel inlet and several companies made repair kits. Some involved oversize threads with loctite, others used an o-ring. Both types recommended using an inline filter to keep from disturbing the fitting and creating another leak. If it has a metal tag attached saying do not remove, leave it alone and keep the rubber fuel lines unless you're ready to replace the carb.

Guest imported_DaveZZZ

Thanks so much!

Since I don't have reason to believe that the filter in the QJ is bad (and the line definitely enters at the side; I know that because when I saw that it looked really strange to me) I think I will just do the hose and in-line. Come winter, when laying up te car is not so heartbreaking, I will investigate the inlet filter.

That's great about Fusick. I looked in there last night for fuel lines, but I must have missed it.

I agree, by the way, on the subject of rubber lines. Under the car doesn't worry me so much, but that engine gets hot, and I shudder to think what might happen if the line let go, especially idling at a stoplight.

My first car, a 76 Monte Carlo, was such a POS that by the time I stopped riving it, I don't think there was any metal left. I had to replace the transmission lines to the radiator, I twisted the fuel line trying to do the filter, and so on.

Sure taught me a lot about fixing things, though.

I appreciate the help.

Dave