1919 Cadillac 57 Starter/Generator Starter Linkage Cross Shaft Removal

190bear

1919 Cadillac Model 57 uses a combined starter generator set up. The starter button is linked to a cross shaft that disengages the generator switch and engages the starter gear to flywheel gears. The roll pin is sheared where the cross shaft and starter shaft through the housing meet. Any input on removing the housing with the cross shaft? Shop manual nor Dykes get into that detail. 

You are correct. There wasn't much to prevent the removal of the housing. Just remove things until it comes out. I did have to remove the starter pinion gear for clearance without dropping the bolt and washer into the bell housing. Hopefully I also get it back together without dropping them 

I’ll check my parts book when I’m next able to, but are you talking about the pin that goes from the pedal? It’s about an inch long, with a point on it and a flat cut out of it (could be a change in newer cars)

otherwise I’m not sure which bolt you’re referring to but I’ll check my book

As usual my communication skills are lacking. What is sheared is just the rivot or pin where the shaft through the case is mated to the u shaped piece. I just need to clean everything up, grind off the head of the rivet, and drill or punch out the pin as needed. Then replace it all without dropping anything into the dreaded bell housing. Thanks for your input

IMG_3513.JPG