What mid-60's engine had air cleaner that said "Wildcat GS"?

I have one but have never seen this particular wording on another Buick. Was wondering what engine it was for. Thanks for any help. Keep smiling and driving those Buicks. Ed

I have never seen one with the Wildcat GS. Most all the lids had the Wildcat decal, with the tourque ratings on them or the later ones with the cubic inches. The only other one was the 2 X 4 chrome air cleaner lid with the Super Wildcat decal. Do you have any pictures to post?

Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

This one looks just like the standard red w silver that was used for the 445/465 torque ratings. It's 13 1/2 inches silk screened on aluminum with Buick in black on top and "Wildcat GS" in silver on the bottom. It was original to my 66 Skylark GS which is the only known survivor of the "L76 Pilot" cars. The build sheet says "L76 ENG HI PERF" with engine code RM x'd out and either PZ or RZ in the engine code box. "L76 Pilot Spec Build" is typed at the bottom of the sheet with "PILOT" in black marker written in large letters. The engine number block is blank and there is no number on the engine.....No one at Buick today has ever heard of the L76 and there are no records of the program so no help there. I've suspected that it might be a 425 but it runs so well I don't want to pull the heads to measure. Thought the air cleaner script might be a clue. Thanks for your help. Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Yellowlark...I just find it hard to believe that Buick would design / produce a special air cleaner script for a handful of cars...I thought for sure that someone here or over at V8Buick.com would be familiar with it but no luck.

By the way scored some big points for us Buick guys when my car was photographed for the 2005 Hemmings Muscle Car Calendar...Was really cool watching a pro photog work...The shoot took over 3 hrs.

Anyone who is interested can see the car at http://www.ohioconcours.com/2000/index.html click on American Performance 61-71 and then click on the car....Ed