Model A Ford 2 tooth steering shaft alignment question (modifying for 27 Model T Speedster)

Morgan Blanchard

I am modifying a Ford Gemmer 2 tooth steering column for use in a 27 Model T speedster.  This involves lengthening the steering column and shaft 10 inches.  This is not an issue, but, I cut the shaft before I noted the relative position of the woodruff key for the steering wheel and the alignment flat for the worm gear.  I don’t want to misalign the wheel when I add the extra 10 inches.  Can someone tell me if the woodruff key is inline with the alignment flat on the gear? (as I would expect).

For those who are concerned about how I am doing this, the shafts will be half lapped for mechanical engagement then a machined tube will be silver soldered over the joint to make the join.  Grub screws will then be installed as a third mechanism to keep things from coming apart.  I am making a new steering column from scratch to fit the longer shaft.  

Thanks for any help.  

Are your turning the box 90 degrees and doing cross steer or mounting the box the normal direction and using the Model A steering arms?