1931 Artillery Style Wheels

Woodworker

Im a professional woodworker and Ive been asked to restore/refinish the wood spokes on a set of wheels for a 1931 Buick.

Ive worked on carriage wheels and wagon wheels but never car wheels.

I have taken the tire and rim off the wheel and have removed the bolts that sandwich the spokes between the outer hub and the brake drum. There is a flange that prevents me from removing the brake drum. The flange seats a bearing cup which I popped out along with the ball bearings. How do I remove the piece with the flange? Do I need to press it out with a hydraulic press or can it be gently tapped out form the other side?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JRM

6 hours ago, Woodworker said:

Im a professional woodworker and Ive been asked to restore/refinish the wood spokes on a set of wheels for a 1931 Buick.

Ive worked on carriage wheels and wagon wheels but never car wheels.

I have taken the tire and rim off the wheel and have removed the bolts that sandwich the spokes between the outer hub and the brake drum. There is a flange that prevents me from removing the brake drum. The flange seats a bearing cup which I popped out along with the ball bearings. How do I remove the piece with the flange? Do I need to press it out with a hydraulic press or can it be gently tapped out form the other side?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JRM

PM Sent