Headlight Door

Guest keystone

Guest imported_keystone

Having trouble with my drivers side headlight. It sometimes struggles to open. If it does I turn off lights and right back on and it opens fine. Doesn't always do it. It sometimes slams when it closes. Do I have a motor problem or what? Can it be repaired? Guy on Ebay sells motors for $59.95.

Seen repair kits for $5.95. Can someone direct me?

Thanks

Gary

Guest imported_Flash

Check your battery. Years ago when the passenger side acted as you describe, it turned out to be a low battery. Replaced the battery and not a problem since.

It's definately the bellcrank problem. Three little plastic bushings that are worn. Simple repair job. Did mine in about an hour or so. And it's one of the cheapest do-it-yourself jobs I've found on the Reatta! Believe it or not, I bought my replacement bushings from my local FORD dealership!! The same size bushings happen to fit an F-150 window motor. (My local GM Dealer had no clue what I was looking for). Check those links above at reatta.net. Excellent site by the way.

Bellcrank and bushings are two completely different parts; both of which could cause your problem. These two items cause 80% of the headlight door problems. Now,the Delrin bushings (cushions, really) are cheap, around $5. The bellcrank ain't; more like $50. If you can get it.

Guest DTerry

Just repaired mine a couple of days ago. Bushings for 2 headlights $16 including shipping. It's not a really tough job, but not as easy as I thought it would be. They open fine now, but the left one still slams shut. I repaired the bellcranks with a home-made shim - worked on the right, but not on the left. They really open great, though. Also be sure to adjust (or replace) the up-stop.