power window problems

art thomas

To rule out electrical problems (corroded connections and/or switch contacts), I would power the motor directly from the battery. 

If the window now rises smoothly, the problem is electrical.  Reverse the polarity on the motor contacts to change the direction...

I am assuming that the motor "attempts" to raise the window but hangs up... (?) 

What adjustments have you been making?

Paul

17 hours ago, pfloro said:

To rule out electrical problems (corroded connections and/or switch contacts), I would power the motor directly from the battery

Yes. When PW problems happen people reflexively look at the motor.  What is not considered is the switch.  

The power supplying the motor is typically coming from the battery through the switch then into the motor.  PW systems rarely use relays, so if there is dirt or corrosion in the switch, the motor voltage will be decreased.  

The problem is that PW switches are typically cheaply made and were never intended to be repaired.  Old brittle plastic and sealed crimped cases make opening them for cleaning a challenge but it should be looked into. 

• Like 1