Engine size on 66 LeSabre 400??????

Highway_101

Hello,

I have found (for free) a 1966 LeSabre 400 2door hardtop (parts car). I would like to know what engines were available in that model. I would have expected the engine to be a 340 or a 401 (maybe it is one of these), but it doesn't look like a nailhead, and I think it looks too big to be a 340. I am pretty confident that it is original engine. The woman who owned it since it had 28,000 miles said it was special ordered with a larger engine and that she always had a hard time getting the right parts from the parts stores. How can I identify this engine for sure? Thanks in advance.

I suspect the confusion has to do with the "400" on the side of the car by the "LeSabre" nameplate. I suspect that if you look at the shift quadrant, you'll see that it has a 3-speed automatic transmission, hence the "400" logo as it has the optional Turbo Hydramatic 400 transmission in it (probably a Switch Pitch version too!). Most other car companies back then put the displacement of the engine on the side of the car, but Buick put the optional upgrade transmission "size" on the side of the car.

I suspect that cosmetics of the engine would verify which one it is. Trying to judge "big" engines against "small" engines by just looking can get you in trouble if you don't know what you're looking at. If the car is as well-cared for as the low mileage might suggest, there should be an owner's manual with the Protect-O-Plate in the back of it. If it's like the similar Chevrolets, you can decode the codes on that plate for the engine size. Similarly, getting the carburetor number or distributor number and checking them against a Buick parts book would verify the engine size for sure (as those parts were specific to a particular engine size, transmission useage, and year model).

If you can find a '66 Buick Chassis Service Manual, it'll also tell you how to verify the engine by the stamp/cast codes on the block and such too. It'll probalby have some good illustrations and pictures of the various engines in it too.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Doesn't the air cleaner have a number on it(painted or a decal), which is the torque rating? The engine size can usually be figured out from that (445 is the 401 with a 4-barrel, 375 is the 340 V-8 with a 4-barrel).

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Ector, Texas

Thanks guys for all the info.

The car is kind of a sad case. It was a low mileage, well optioned, nice car that got hit in the left rear 1/4 panel (looks like it was very repairable to me). The woman's husband at this point pulled the engine and transmission......then he never did anything with either the car or the engine. The car has been sitting for years with bushes growing all around it, and the engine/transmission has been sitting in a carport (not very protected from the elements). I am sure the car was worth fixing 10 years ago, but not now. I hate to see good Buick parts go to waste, so I'll drag it home and part it out as much as I can.

Guest Reatta1

Standard was a 340 4bbl. That was the prevalent coupling with the 400 transmission. However, if as she says, it was ordered with a bigger engine, odds are it is a 401. I have a 66 LeSabre 400 convertible and it is a 340/4. BTW that was a pretty hot combination. I 'dusted' many an unsuspecting hot rodder, to their chagrin, with my convertible. Also, BTW, it began life as a two dr hartop. To see pics go to the Collectable Automobile Photo Post and look at my posts.

If it's got enough good parts to sell, why not just repair and reassemble it and have it for yourself? It might be more to clean up now than when it was taken apart, not to mention easier to clean up the engine compartment, but repairability doesn't diminish with age, typically.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

I found this link from the ROA (Riviera Owners Association) as a restoration link, there are some good visuals of Nailhead Buick engines (i.e., 401, 425) plus lots of interesting historical pictures of the cars these engines were put into or came in from the factory. As is evident, the Buick Nailhead was an integral part of the '60s and prior hot rod scene.

Hopefully, you can see something there that can be of help. One thing specific to the Buick Nailhead series of V-8s is the way the valve covers are oriented plus the way the intake manifold interfaces with the cylinder heads.

www.buicknailhead.com

Enjoy!

NTX5467