BAD GAS FUMES!!

Guest Skyking

Guest Skyking

After rebuilding my carburator on my 62 Invicta I have been getting awful gas fumes when I park it in my garage. When I'm driving I can't smell anything. Only after I go in the garage hours latter or the next day I smell gas. When I park it in there I check the complete engine for leaks and don't see any. I checked the lines and still none. Everwhere is dry.. Can anyone shead some light on this.

Guest Skyking

Yes Tomsriv, all is dry. It's like fumes are excaping from the carb somehow when it sits. I checked all along the bottom of the car and it is dry....It's really weird....

Did your carb have a metal plate beneath it before the rebuild? I am not sure about the 62 Buick, but most 65-68 carbs had a metal insulator plate that sealed the base gasket to the bottom of the carb. The gasket has a crossover which actually circulates exhaust gas to heat the carb bottom for cold weather.<BR>The manifold also has a groove in it with a hole on each end. <BR>If the metal plate is left off, then exhaust gas from a hot engine will rise when shut off. This will cause the fuel to boil in the carb and evaporate off. This could be your gas smell.<BR>Again, I cannot recall if the 62 (364 or 401 I assume) has such a crossover. It might be worth checking.<BR>Good Luck,<BR>Mark

Guest Skyking

Mark, now that you mention the plate, I remember the kit coming with different gaskets for the plate. Some with a cross over slot and some without. Maybe I used the wrong one. I will have to check that out. That sounds like it might be the problem. Thanks !