More Generator Trouble

Guest leadfoot

Just for starters (bad pun huh?), make sure you have all the underdash wires for the correct terminals on your new harness, and then to correct terminals on the ammeter. Also the floor starter unit has connections on the firewall side that should be checked and a set of two points that need to be calibrated. I believe that info about this is in the NE Book #53. If you don't have one of these let me know and I'll retrieve info for you.

Also, I would make sure the commutator under the cover of the NE combo unit has clean and well defined contacts. I use carb cleaner and Q tips to clean the whole brush area the full 360 degrees. Then use a good scribe to clean and regap the grooves between the commutator ridges and again clean with carb cleaner. I've forgotten the spec for the depth of the groove, but it is several thousandths. And I would replace the brushes if they are worn or cracked. Remember, the three brushes are a set - two with a high copper content and one that looks to be all graphite.

Guest leadfoot

This is according to the Mechanic's Instruction Manual:

On the NE combo unit, the mica on the commutator should be undercut 1/16 inch at the grooves.

On the cut-out (under side of the floor starter switch) the larger carbon blocks should be gapped .030" and the smaller button should be gapped .020"

Covers the 8100, 8100-A, and 11865-A.

Guest leadfoot

Rick -

If you're not getting any, or low, output from the generator I would suspect something other than the cutout. Most likely the brushes or a hookup problem under the dash. On my car erratic charging ended when I replaced the worn and incorrect brushes and fixed the commutator contact surface. By the way, I assume that your battery is OK?