1st-Gen quarter-window adjustment question

rivolution

Hello friends,

When I bought my '64 twenty years ago, one of the first things I did was remove and recondition all of the power window mechanisms, which ranged from "weak" to "non-functioning".

Unfortunately, I didn't pay close attention to how the quarter windows behaved in factory form before I took things apart.  So I did my best to put them back together and adjust them using the body service manual.  They've worked okay for the past few decades, but I've always wondered whether I did things right.  In the 'up' position they mate nicely with the door glass and the roofline.  In the down position, though, the glass edge weatherstrip gets crunched up against the rubber seal in the body opening (see pic1).  When I see them mashed together like this I get the feeling this isn't working as intended, but maybe it is?  Is the window not supposed to go so far down that it ends up flush with the chrome trim?
Thanks for any advice.  The windows are slowing down again so I'm going to clean them up, and thought I'd see if I should do things differently.

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

No expert here but I feel your pain. 
I removed both of my rear quarters to clean and lube in the last few weeks and as the glass removal didn’t really go well as per manual things got out of tilter. Seems I couldn’t get the glass out without removing the block shaped locking guide on the glass lower frame that wedges in the other which screws and adjusts in the door opening. Didn’t see anything about that in manual but always chance of a DOB error🤪

I think the flush glass at lower point makes sense and I also have that pressure inbound on that same side and I don’t have any inner linings, belt lines, window seals or fuzzies in yet. Had the experience when getting it right at top not great at bottom and vice versa.
I took a lot more care with the left side and had greater success for removal and reinstall. As someone suggested marking around adjusting nuts with marker pen, taking photos and noting how much thread is proud of the nuts etc. as it seemed necessary to screw in some of the adjusting bolts to shift tracks forward and down I even counted the turns inward and set them the same way out on reinstallation. The trouble shooting instruction on binding was useful on my first  attempt but it is all not fully set so I am keen also to hear of any feedback. Sadly after the service I realised that new rollers are required so guess they will be out again..with lots of movement in the rollers and missing trims it seemed pointless to try and fine tune everything. 
standing by!

Edited by Dundee
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rivolution - I too feel your quarter window pain!

In 2018 I came across a set factory tinted windows (all 6 side glass plus the rear window) in very good condition that had come out of a parted out '65. 

My car came with tinted windshield but clear glass everywhere else. 

I found a glass shop to replace all the glass, including installing a brand new windshield that I bought on Summit Racing for the stupid low price of $133.

I gutted the rear seat and side panels so they could access the quarter window assemblies in the back.

The shop replaced all the glass on the car including the windshield. They had to smash out the vent window glass to get it out.  All went well and they were able to adjust the door glass quite well.  But the rear quarter windows were a bit of a disaster.  At first they would not even move down more than a third of the way, and would bind on the way up.  After giving the installer copies of the Fischer Body Manual pages to guide the adjustments, he got the windows to work somewhat better.  After the installer spent a couple of hours fighting them the owner said they'd need $$ over and above the original estimate we had agreed on.  I said "good enough" and decided to take a stab at adjusting the quarter windows myself once I got the car home.

Well, I spent at least 4 hours cursing and fiddling and did manage some improvement.  The driver's quarter window will go down all the way, but needs help coming up.  The passenger one won't go down all the way unless I push on the window after it gets 3/4 the way down. Obviously there is binding somewhere and I could not figure out how to fix it entirely.  Before the glass was replaced the original quarter windows did go up and down all the way, albeit haltingly.

At this point I don't have the appetite to gut the back seat again and fiddle with the mechanisms again as there's no guarantee it'll make much difference. The rare times I have back seat passengers I cringe when they use the windows and they don't roll up and down as they should.  Oh well, the joys of a 57 year old car!

Having said all that, switching out my clear glass for factory tinted was a great improvement!  My Rive is Verde Green so the green-tinted 'Soft-Ray' glass all around really complements the car.

I removed my original clear glass