1941 Front Turn Signals

John R. Hess

Hi again everyone

As I make small improvements to our '41 Super, the latest thing is to replace the cloudy front turn signal/parking light lenses.  That part was extremely easy.  The issue I have now is that the internal  "focusing lenses", item "I" (condensing lens) in the 1941 master parts book was broken off perhaps decades ago.  Looking at the replacement lenses I received, there is no way I can figure out how these install inside the lamp housing.  They appear to screw in somehow, but there are no visible screw heads inside the lamp housing.

Has anyone replaced the focusing/condenser lens on these?  Both sides are broken off.  I assume they are of some importance or they wouldn't have been there originally.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

John Hess

Edited by John R. Hess (see edit history)

• John R. Hess changed the title to 1941 Front Turn Signals

Hi John:

It's been a few years since I did this job, so I can't remember exactly how the assembly goes together.  But I believe that the diffuser lens fits onto two studs that are cast into the pot metal lamp housing itself.  If you disassemble the housing to separate the lamp socket from the housing, that exposes the studs.  You will probably find the broken piece of the original lens sitting in there.  (See attached photos.)  Just pop off the broken piece and press the new lens onto the studs.  Reassemble the socket to the housing and you're done.

diffuser.jpg.e86fcaa96f10459343b1ec3ac57f288b.jpg

park_lite4.jpg.cd53d57fe1ad44df939bb9e193f5476a.jpg

park_lite5.jpg.92fe8f3b9041f8b16608f1230922df9e.jpg

• Like 2