1925Chrysler G70 6 cylinder(Nov 25) Generator Shaft Coupling

cricketkj26

The generator is mounted on the back side of the  timing chain case and is driven by the timing chain via a sprocket gear,

The generator shaft cplg (coupling) is basically a  long thin flex cplg that acts as a shear pin. It is 5 stacked pieces of 

Its 5 stacked pieces of 3/8" wide spring steel that is total height is approx 1/4" thick with 45deg chamfers on all 4 corners.

Length is approx 3-1/8".   I accidentally broke all 5 pcs of the spring steel when I forced the crank over with the hand crank.

with the hand crank. The cplg pieces were the only damage. The question is - Can those 5 stacked pieces of spring steel be 

replaced with 1 solid piece of mild steel with the same total size.  Some Newer cars (like 1929 or later and differernt mfrs) 

with timing chain driven generators used a single pc of mild steel bar.  The shop that is going to do the rebuild recommends              using a solid bar to repair the coupling rather than the stacked spring steel because thats how it was done on later year cars.

The head of the coupling also holds the sprocket  gear on the spindle shaft thats on the front of the generator mtg bracket.

Im the type if it originally was made with layered spring steel pieces and it obviously worked as the shear pin and a flex cplg

then put it back how it was originally.  But I know there can be easier and better ways to do things and it will not be seen.

Are there issues using a one piece mild steel bar or maybe bronze ?  Thanks, Cricket

G70Generator.jpg

G70 Gen Drv gear.jpg

25 G70 GEN.CPLG 3.jpg

25 G70 GEN CPLG 1.jpg

G70 Gen Gear Shft Brkt.jpg

Thankyou Jason.  Kelly.     Thats a good website for ref.  Im going to get my AACA friend that thats a semi retired machinist that still has his shop

to  cut or mill the 5 pcs of shim stock, drill the holes,  and nip the 45deg corners from appropriate matl. 

Everyone down here is impressed with the work you did on the Remy generator, distributor, and starter. Much appreciated.

Cricketkj26