oil gauge likes to dance

We have a Pontiac Bonneville (92) that has the same motor as my Buick and it's having a problem with the oil gauge. When the car is off it reads the normal 0 psi, but when you start it the gauge will fly to 120psi and stay there. After you've been driving it down the road for a while and let off the gas it usually goes down to 40psi, but right when you push the gas again it flies to 120 again instantly. What's up with this gauge?

My brother had a similar problem with his '89 LeSabre t-type, he pulled the oil pan and found that the oil pickup was plugged with pieces of plastic timing chain parts, cleaned the pickup, changed the timing gear, and the oil pressure gauge was back where it should be, this car has close to 180k or more on it I think. He should be on here, but the new little guy is taking more time than he thought. For more info, email at christopher.vasilow@gm.com Hope that helps. R

Guest Shaffer

My last late model American car (6 years ago) I had a 1991 Chevrolet Camaro with the 3.1 L V-6. Mu car had 33,000 actual miles on it. My gauge did the same thing. Especially when cold, it was always maxed out. After it warmed up, it was normal it idle. I knew there was nothing wrong with the engine at those miles. I was told it was just the oil pressure sending unit. This must be common with late 80s/early 90s GM cars, because my uncles old 1988 GMC Surburban with the 6.2 L V-8 diesel did the exact smae thing and was in A-1 shape. If I was you, I would have the oil pressure sending unit checked before anything else. Good luck. <BR>-----------------<BR>Tony<BR>72 Electra<BR>89 Accord