More 1966 Olds Performance?

I have a stock 1966 olds f-85 with the stock 330 4 barrel engine. What modifications could be done to squeeze better performance out of this engine? Intake manifolds, carbs, headers and exhaust,

and/or ignition? Please provide suppliers if possible. Also, I see a lot of mods for 350's but not 330's, do some of the performance parts for 350's fit a 330? I'm just starting out and do not have a lot of

experience in this area. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Does anyone else have any experience with any type of performance parts for the 330?

Anything that will work on a 350 will work on a 330. All 64-76 Olds small blocks are basically identical except early 1964 330s have rocker shafts.

Edelbrock makes a nice matched cam/intake/carb package for the SBO. You can use a HEI distributor or convert the points distributor to an aftermarket electronic ignition setup such as Pertronix, Jacobs or Mallory Unilite. Headers, low restriction exhaust and an open element K&N air filter will also wake up the little 330. They already have a near bulletproof bottom end with their forged crankshafts.

Though to be honest, some of them were already rated at 315 horsepower.

Sparky:

I just got done with a slight build on my 330 4-bbl. in a 1967 Cutlass. You can see the post on the install in the technical forum.

All the exhaust guys I talked to out here in Burbank/No. Hollywood said that good headers for my car were expensive, on the order of $700 or so. So for the exhaust I only went with a 2 1/2" dual with Flowmaster two-chambers and oval tips. Sounds great, quiet and rumbly in the car but snappy and wicked outside. Not too loud, however. My exhaust guy was going to install a crossover pipe, but after he heard how it was sounding (I asked for a NON-obnoxious tone) he called me in to hear it. Installing the cross-over would make it quiter, but it was perfect.

I went with the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake thinking that I'll do something wild in the future, and muzzled it with a 600 cfm edelbrock. Although the Performer RPM had bosses for the accessories, they didn't line up too well. I suspect the stock performer would be better in that regard.

The RPM manifold came with plugs for blocking the EGR ports on the heads (others on this forum have advised that this hot passage kills power; my exhuast and my engine builder both mentioned this as an olds drawback). The cast-iron plugs are file to fit--I spent 5 or so hours on one, and said to hell with it, plugged only one side. Ask others about the Mondello zinc or nickel or something-molten filler, if you're gonna do the heads.

I had a 750 carter AFB on the stock manifold before, but it felt a little soggy below 2,000 or so. The 600 is great for stoplights and around-town--getting on the freeway, it it seems to shift the slightest bit sooner than when I had the stock manifold and the 750.

I went with an HEI from a 1976 406 Pontiac Trans-Am. The advance springs are way too stiff; i have yet to get a re-curve kit. The points distributor came in fast, early and good, but scattered spark like short-barrel shotgun does pellets.

The most effective use of money for performance enhancement? The electronic ignition NO QUESTION ABOUT IT. $65 for a used distributor and good cap & coil; don't remember how much the new HEI spark wires (which you must have) were. Spend your money there first, if I may advise you.

Good luck and tell all how it went.