why does my 65 wildcat take a long time and pumping to start

why does my 65 wildcat take a long time and pumping the gaz to start in the morning?<BR>the carb has been rebuilt and i have a pertronix.<BR>thanks erick

Guest nailswede

one thing to check could be that the choke is totaly closed in the carb when engine is cold!but maybe the problem is that the fuel goes back to fueltank after while!but there is better mecanics then me here..*lol*.. shocked.gif" border="0

I don't know why, but some cars have a problem with fuel draining out of the system overnight. The easiest fix is an electric pump to fill everything back up ,but some people frown on using them . I have one on most of my cars, because after sitting for two or three months, they start much easier with the electric pump.

You said you had a Pertronix setup.. Turn the key to ON for about 5-10seconds before you turn to start. I have to do this as I have yet to get an answer on how to bypass the resistor wire, or run a new wire.<P>If you got the Flametrower Coil as I did, you can (provided you know how, I don't) run a new wire from a Key-On location straight to the coil as they like 12v. With a stock coil I'm unsure about that tho.<P>It's an easy test, just turn the key ON, let it sit for a min then start. If it starts up, ya know it's the pertronix setup.<P>just my 2cents.<P>Cheers!<P>-Scott<P>(anyone, new wire route? to/from where? gauge? I've grown to hate leaving the key on before starting)

Regarding your hard start - If you have a Q-jet carb, your float bowl maybe leaking. Then not only do you not have fuel in the carb, but the manifold is full of gas, making for hard start. There are two access holes on the bottom for the jets which are sealed after manufacturing. Over time these seals leak. You can try to cover them with epoxy. Routine carb rebuilds ignore this.<BR>Regarding Petronix, power the coil + with a feed that is hot both when the key is "on" and when "start". Normally the fuse box has a terminal labeled "ign", you can use that. If not, you need to locate both wires from the ignition switch or the fuse box.<BR>Good luck.