headlights/daytime running light question- late 90s Achieva

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

The headlights and taillights on my moms 97 Achieva SL are staying on all of the time, whether the headlight switch is on or off, while the ignition is on. At first, only the DRLs were on when the switch off, but now, they are on all of the time, even in the middle of the day in bright sunshine. Normally, I leave the lights on all of the time anyway- but was puzzled by the lights always being on. Someone said their car (97 Grand AM- same car) has a seperate setting switch that automatically turns the lights on when the car is on and turns then off when the car is off and said the Achieva should have the same switch. I do not see this switch anywhere, nor see any mention of it in the owners manual. Does the Achieva have this switch? If so, where? If not, is there something wrong with the headlight switch? My 92 Buick has the "twilight sentinal" feature that automatically illuminates when it gets cloudy or dark, depending upon the setting. In the owners manual on the Acheiva (1997) it does mention a light sensor on the top of the dash, that turns the lights on when needed, but I do not see it either. Any info on the late 90s Achieva headlights appreciated.

If the car was built for the Canadian market after 1990 the headlights are on full brightness when the engine is running. The headlight switch will only turn on and off lights without the key turned on.

Guest Shaffer

Sounds logical, but the was sold in Tennessee, USA. At first, the only the DRLs would work, when the car was running and the headlight switch was off- which is what I would guess is normal. Then a week later, I noticed the headlights were on even if the headlight switch was off, with the engine running- even in bright sunshine. I cannot locate the sensor the owners manual talks about being on the top of the instrument panel. I thought maybe it was dirty and needed cleaning.

On most GM cars equipped with Daytime Running Lights, only the headlights come on during the day, and only when the transmission lever is out of park on cars with auto trans. You may be right to think that your mother's car has a problem with it's sensor since parking lights are also on. I have no idea of it's location on an Achieva but, on your Park Avenue, it's located near the defroster outlet on the driver's side. It might be placed in a similar place on the Achieva.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

When the DRLs are working properly- only the headlights illuminate, when the car is placed out of park. They worked normally again for a day. Now all lights are back on again with the ignition on, in bright sunshine, even if the switch is off. Owners manual says normally all lights illuminate when it gets darker out and says the sensors are located on top of the dash board, but I do not see a sensor anywhere. I can easily see the sensors on my Park Avenue. I was thinking maybe the sensor on the Olds was dirty and needed cleaned, but again, I do not see a sensor anywhere.

• 4 months later...
Guest Shaffer

Hello all. I know this post is a little old, but I found out the problem with the DRLS. I found out that the sensor is located inside the defroster vents. The reason why they were coming on in all conditions except bright sunshine is because the state inspection sticker from the state it was originally from is directly over the sensors, so it thinks it is darker than it actually is. Case solved. Thanks again for the help.