"tap-tap-tap"...said the Nailhead

Are Nailheads known for needing valve adjustments occasionally or am I looking at a more serious problems if my '62 401 has started a mild tap?

I just noticed it tonite while I was power-washing the motor. I never noticed it before that. It's coming from the drivers side toward the rear of the motor in the valve cover. It's what I'd call a minor tap, sounds like a rocker slapping a valve. I don't think the power-washing could have had anything to do with it. Does it sound like something that should be addressed right away? I will be building a new motor for it eventually and putting it in after a restoration that I plan on starting in the next year. Since I just bought the car last November, I kinda wanted to drive it on tours and hit a few shows this summer. Think it'll last?<P>Still considering the Invicta, Joe. rolleyes.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0 You have any pics you can e-mail me?<p>[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: onebadassbuick ]

The rockers are one of the few weak points on a nailhead. The tips of the rockers are exchangeable and they get worn. There are a few people that rebuild them.

I didn't think so, I'll check it again. You may have a point because I noticed someone used that 'perma-gasket' instead of cork. I already replaced the passenger side because it was leaking, but I left the driver's side alone (I'm a big believer in 'if it's not broke, don't fix it'). I'll pull the valve cover and inspect the rockers, and put the cork gasket on and see if that does the trick. Thanks Joe smile.gif" border="0

Well I felt for a tap on the valve cover and felt nothing so I'm guessing it's a rocker. Curiously after driving to Ravenna today (about a 90 mile round trip) the tap is now barely noticeable. Is it possible that pressure washing the engine could have been the culprit? From my experience, once a tap starts, it gets progressively worse, not better. Or is this all just wishful thinking? confused.gif" border="0

Guest nailswede

You could try to clean the lifters if it is dirt inside them...but thats a lot of work!A thinner oil could be worth tryning also cool.gif" border="0

Was just reading thru the postings and thought I'd put in my two cents worth. Yes the tips of the rocker arms do wear and will make the distinctive tapping sound. The noise getting less audible after driving a distance leads to a possible bad lifter.Try running a good engine cleaner thru it and see if it helps.Good luck. (From past experience pressure washing the engine doesn't hurt it unless you get water in the engine)