"ETS" light- 97 Oldsmobile Achieva and Buick Skylark

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

My mom may be getting my grandparents car. It is a 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 4dr, with the 2.4L 4-cyl, which is the same car as the Buick Skylark and Pontiac Grand Am. I am not sure if the Skylark has the traction control or not, but my grandparents car has that option. Recently, the "ETS off" light on the dash is illuminated, even when the ETS is on, according to the switch. The owners manual states that if the light stays illuminated, when the system is on, then there is a problem with the system. Has anyone else had this problem and know what the problem could possibly be? Any info appreciated.

The ETS or "Enhanced Traction Control" is a pretty basic traction control system that uses engine management to control wheel slippage (it cuts power!) with NO brake intervention as the traction controls systems on the larger GM cars. It uses the wheel speed sensors for the front wheels to determine wheel slippage (one with respect to the other) and then cuts power as needed. The GM minivans also use a similar systsem.

I was at an Olds ride and drive event for dealership people in about '99. We were driving the various GM and Ford and Chrysler minivans on the short road course they had for them. I was driving a Silhouette for that part of the deal. There was a straight stretch that allowed up to about 45mph before you had to brake for a hard left hand turn. I used my best apex strategy and nailed the gas for the exit--nothing happened, no power "as requested". I glanced at the instrument cluster and saw the "Low Trac" light on. As soon as I got it straightened out, the light went out and the power came back.

Another time, I was in a rented Grand Am and turned into a parking lot. The "Low Trac" light came on then too. It appears that when relative wheel speed between the two front wheels is great enough (for any reason), it thinks a low traction environment is happening and cuts engine power until the wheel speeds get more the same.

As for the light being on all of the time, it could be a bad wire from the sensor at the wheel or a bad sensor itself. Some sensors are part of the wheel hub assembly and aren't replaceable as individual parts. I thing TRW and other vendors have them in aftermarket at NAPA and similar.

Best thing would be to pull the codes from the Brake System Computer and see what they show (just like pulling codes from the engine computer).

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shaffer

Thanks for the reply. My mom did get the car- she traded her 89 Pontiac to my grandfather for it. I forgot to mention, it has a switch, that will let you turn the traction control off. But as mentioned, it says it is off at all times. The owners manual states that if the light stays on, then there is a malfunction in the system. I do not think we will even worry about it. She had driven all these years without it. My 95 Chrysler Concorde has it and I do not think it works all that well. At least on my Chrysler it does not. On the Chrysler, the "low trac" light will illuminate when it starts to spin and it will make a buzzing sound in the front end and it will help a little, but not much. I do not think it will even be worth repairing on the Oldsmobile. Thanks again for the info.

Guest Shaffer

Now it is working. The light was staying illuminated, whether the switch was on or off- stating malfunction, according to the owners manual. I had left it in the "off" position since it was not operating anyway. Today- I pushed it to the "on" position and now the light goes off, as if it is operating properly. Perhaps a loose wire on the transmission. Thanks agian.