Need a good set of 3.23 gears for a '64-'67 Skylark

BrianStone

I am still searching for a good set of 3.23 gears for the 8.2 10 bolt in my '65 Special. They came in the '64-'67 special/skylarks with either the V6 or 300V8 and either the 3speed or 4speed manual transmission. They also came in the wagons with the V6 engine. I will take a whole rear end if it is close by or transportation can be arranged easily (I live in Eastern NC). My rear end had a factory defect where the pinion bearing spun on gear and over time it wore the pinion shim down, so even after I fixed it, it still has a bad hum to the gears when cruising. I would really like to get it fixed before the end of Feb. so I can have it ready to drive to some shows in March. As everyone knows, it is very annoying driving a car down the interstate with a hum in the rear axle! I have plenty of 3.08 and 2.78 rear ends I could put in it, but mine is a 4-speed car and the original 3.23 works best for both highway and performance. E-mail me at Stonesautomotive@juno.com if you have any leads for me.

Brian, I have a set of 3:23 gears out of a 68 GS, its a 8.2" 10 bolt also.They have 66,000 miles them. You can have them for $50.00 plus shipping. Let me know if your interested.

Starc

If you are sure they are the same as the ones in the '65s, then I will take them. I knew there were other external differences in the rear ends after '66, but I wasn't sure about the insides--haven't had an occasion to work on one of the newer ones. Did they come out of a car you were driving--i.e. were they good an quiet when you took them out! Also, does the pinion still have the bearing and shim pressed onto the back of it? That helps with installation to have the factory shim for a starting place.

The gears came out of my 68 GS, It was a 3:23 open, I put in a Chev.12 bolt with 3:90 gears 19 years ago. There was nothing wrong with the gears that is why I saved them. I figured someone would want them someday.They will fit 64-71 8.2 housing. The pinion bearing and shim are still installed.

Starc

Guest BuickGS65

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The '68-70 8.2 Buick gearset takes a different big pinion bearing not the smaller big pinion bearing used in the '64-67 8.2 BOP. The carrier is for the 3.23-3.42 '68-70 gearset & could be used in an earlier 8.2 with the right earlier gears.

So you are saying that not only is the big pinion bearing different, but so is the pinion gear o.d. (where the bearing presses on)? If that is the case, then these gears definitely won't work in my car. I am set for a carrier--mine still has the original posi in it and it works perfectly--my only issue is the gears are worn out.

Starc, I have been searching and can't find any information saying the gears are different. When I re-built the rear in the car trying to remedy the noise (that is when I found the worn pinion shim), I ordered a kit from Richmond gear and they sell the same kit for all 8.2" buick 10 bolts. I can't find any evidence that there are different bearing sizes on the pinion. If you are willing to take them back and give me the $50 back if they won't work, I am willing to pay the shipping both ways if necessary to take the chance to see if they are the same or not. Is that okay with you? If so, E-mail me your address and total cost with shipping to Stonesautomotive@juno.com and I will mail you a check. If it is just a diameter difference where the pinion bearing presses on, I can get that ground down to the right size in the machine shop here where I work.