I should have taken this car when it was offered to me

junkyardjeff

I have a few stories similar, but a particular one comes to mind.

Around 2002, a '65 Studebaker Cruiser turned up at the local P'N'P yard; dark brown metallic, brown cloth interior, 6-cylinder automatic, not the most desirable one out there, but they were asking $600 for it.  The floors were very rust free, as was the trunk area.  I waited too long, and when I went back two days later, it had been sold, but good fortune came a second time.  Three years later, another  1965 Cruiser showed up at the local P'N'P yard, a 6-cylinder, but this time, turquoise outside & black cloth interior, but with the much rarer, 3-speed w/overdrive transmission.  Again, they were asking $600 for it, but I wasn't going to let this one get away!  I didn't waste any time making the purchase, and hauled it home a day later, as like the earlier car, the floors and trunk were also in good shape.   

The sad postscript to this was the brown car I saw in 2002 was a basket case in 2008 when someone contacted me asking if I wanted to buy it. By then, all the glass was broken, and the interior was more or less destroyed. The dream-world seller wanted $2000 for it, and I just laughed at him.  In the end, the car did turn up in a different autowreckers, where I did salvage a few sheet metal parts from it, including the good floor pan.

Craig