Barn find! Kissel Kar lights 1912?*

FS - I have more pictures and you can directly message me.  I have two relativity fine front light assembly’s for a 1914-1917* Kissel Kar.  The front screw handle reads “solar 1287” Asking $800 for the pair OBO.  Please read the below— I’ve had someone say they are most likely 1912.  

8504655E-6599-48A5-A5BF-B8E1EDCBF3CA.jpeg

B9EAAB19-90CD-4B2D-8DAD-757486B487EE.jpeg

Edited by WilliamHenpenn (see edit history)

The Solar number 1287 generally indicates it is a light design that was introduced in 1912. It might have stayed in the product line up for a couple of years after that , but a higher quality company like Kissel would have switched to electric lights by 1914 or 1915 at the latest. So most likely for a 1912 or 1913 Kissel.

If your lights are like 99 % of the Solar headlights I have encountered they will probably need new main shells made. They seem to be particularly prone to serious age cracks in the spun main shell. Possibly the particular grade of brass Solar used. Nice quality lights otherwise.

Greg

• Thanks 1

Greg,  I can’t thank you enough for the insite and obvious knowledge you have about these lights!  I wonder if I could find out how the shell really is... like clean them up a little.  Unfortunately what in reading into your sentence is the face that they are worthless.. ?  Thank you again greg.  

• WilliamHenpenn changed the title to Barn find! Kissel Kar lights 1912?*

I certainly would not call them worthless. To a person that needs them they are definitely of value, but you have to keep in mind they need a fair amount of work .

1912 - 13 Kissel Kars are quite rare but there are a few of them out there.  Price is all about supply and demand with the extra factor being condition. In my experience unrestored Solar lights from this era are more commonly in the $200.00 each range. I have bought several and seen many more at roughly this figure, give and take.

The Kissel badges may add a bit of a premium but also narrow the group of buyers .

But most definitely not no value!  Just modest value.

There is a reasonably decent unbadged one on ebay right now with a $230 .00 buy it now. The unbadged ones are more in demand as they can be used on any car from this era but the badged ones are of course much more desirable to someone who owns the matching car. Solar made lots of lights , most of which are unbadged. 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)