Who Hosted the 1965 AACA National Tour from PA to GA?

Guest Mark McAlpine

Guest Mark McAlpine

I've compiled a list of all the national shows and tours the AACA has hosted since its founding in 1935, and I'm trying to fill in some missing details.

Does anyone know who hosted the 1965 AACA National Tour from York, PA, to Atlanta, GA--was it AACA National or one or more AACA regions?  (The tour was on 8-11 June 1965.)  It's not mentioned in the calendars, ads, or article about the tour in Antique Automobile magazine (other than to say it was the "First National Tour") and VMCCA doesn't have the info either.

Does anyone have a tour book or other info on the tour that says who hosted the tour?

Thank you very much!

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Italicized "Antique Automobile" (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

I have a triangle shaped dash plaque of the 1965 National Spring Tour June 8 to 11 1965, It states " National Spring Tour June 8th to 11th York Pa to Atlanta Ga." and just under that is "Carolina Region Spring Tour Burlington NC  Charlotte NC Atlanta Georgia" it is mounted on a wood display board and under it is mounted another plaque that says "AACA National Tour York Pa-Atlanta Ga June 1965 Welcome To North Carolina and Charlotte Motor Speedway". I just purchased it this past weekend at a flee market. Was this the very first National tour held by the AACA? I was not a member of AACA until about 1972 or 1973 so it was before my time. Are you coming to Charlotte for the National Show in a couple of weeks if so I can bring it with me. Larry Coble, Graham NC 336-212-3342

Hello Larry,

Thank you for the information, but Mark is no longer on the AACA Board of Director and no longer tracking this info.  

No, the 1965 York, PA, to Atlanta, GA, tour was not the first AACA tour.  Per Mark's list, the first two official AACA tours were the AACA "Brooks Caldwell Tour" on November 17, 1940 (in commemoration of the AACA's 5th Anniversary) and the 1st Atlantic City Run in 1946 on July 5-6, 1946.

Edited by Marion McAlpine (see edit history)