Continental 6Y or 7U Parts Motor

John Lynn

Hi

Does anyone have a 6Y or a 7U Continental parts motor ? Looking for a head and crank shaft.

My restoration project car - a 1920 Davis has a Continental 7R motor and I have been corresponding with a fellow owner in New York ( I am in New Zealand ). He has been a wonderful source of information , provider of manuals , advice etc.  So I want to return the favour if I can ( he is not a member of AACA ).

FYI, the 6Y and 7U engines do not interchange with the 7R engine. Moons used all of these engines too and while the 6Y is interchangeable with the 7U (they both used the 6Y-200 block) the 7R is a different engine. Since the Moon 6-48 model used the 7R engine there must be other manufacturers that also used that 7R engine in the late teens and early twenties. Get that list and then it will help you find parts for your Davis. 

Hi

Thanks for the update and confirmation you are talking to Jim in New York.

My 7R is now fully reconditioned and almost ready for its first start. 

The Continental engine is not well documented in New Zealand - in fact , I have exhausted all avenues and contacts in NZ to source any spare parts / parts motors for my &R and I suspect I will find the same with the 6Y and 7U models but I will utilise the NZ Vintage Car Club membership to try and source parts for Jim.

• 3 years later...