Wheel Restoration

Restoring my rally wheels. The chrome has polished great. I have a question about the black portion of the wheel. I could tape it off and paint it. But, I have heard about someone selling a template that will fit over the wheel so you can paint away. Is this true? has anyone heard of it, or where to get it. Thanks for any help. Matt

Guest John Chapman

Matt,<P>I've just done this, too. There's no template available like the one's for the Pontiac wheels. Not a problem, though.<P>Simply take masking tape (I recommend going to a auto body supply store and getting the good stuff) and cover the chrome on the spokes and around the wheel. Then take an Exacto knife or razor and trim away the excess tape. It is quite easy to see where the painted area ends because of the casting lines. Then mask off the remainder of the wheel and shoot the color. Worked like a champ for me.<P>Good luck!<P>John<P>------------------<BR>John Chapman<BR>BCA 35894<BR>1965 Skylark Convertible (Some Assembly Required)<BR> jmchapman@aol.com

I have done quite a few of the road wheels.<BR>Using masking tape 2" wide and 1/2" wide tape works well. After masking all the chrome I found best to bead blast all old black paint off. Using a good primer and finallly a top coar of semi-gloss paint. You can leave the tape on during the complete process. I also do the back sides of the rims, bead blasting all scale and rust off and using a stainless or chrome type paint, <BR>leave the turned edge of the rim alone if it has good chrome. Wheels should stay good for at least 2 years, unless driving in snow and salt. In the Buick service bullentins 1966 or 1967 there is a formula for the correct black color.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com