1928 Buick 6 in GMC water pump leaking

JDSig

My GMC T42 Buick water pump is steadily leaking water around the shaft that connects to the distributor.  I've added marine lube to the grease fitting and it hasn't helped.  Any recommendations on where to find a seal and instructions on how to replace it?

1928? It's probably packing rather than a seal. Is there a nut to tighten? Don't overdo it. It should seep a tiny bit or the packing will burn up the shaft. It may be possible to add some packing or replace it entirely. If neither helps, you probably need a new shaft and bushings.

Also, you might want to post this over in the Buick Prewar Technical section. There are at least 3 six cylinder Buick restorations going on over there right now.

Thank you Bloo for the quick reply.  I checked the nut and it was loose.  Any idea on how "tight" it should be?  This T42 is new to me and is about a 10 year old resto with maybe 100 miles on it since then.

Not that tight. It squeezes on the packing. Tighten it a little at a time and slow the leak down. When you have the leak pretty slow drive it and see, Maybe tighten a little more. A drop every few minutes or even less while running is about right. You kind of have to sneak up on it to know where you are at.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1