1954 Annual Meet

D Binger

I picked up a lisence plate a couple of years ago at a swap meet in Loveland, CO that reads<P> Annual Meet<BR>Antique Auto Club Of America<BR> Pottstown, PA.<BR> June 11, 12, 13 - 1954<P><BR>Was this the for-runner to the Hershey meet?<BR>Was this the meet plaque - or a give away or an item offered for sale?<P>Dan<p>[This message has been edited by D Binger (edited 10-11-2000).]

Pottstown Region was the first Region to host a national meet in which cars were judged by the criteria we use today. That was in 1952 at the Hill School in Pottstown, PA. The meet was continued for several years after that. <BR> Devon was the site of the first national meets. Back then they only had one meet a year. Judging wasn't anything like todays standards. The meet was moved to Hershey when that area was selected as the National Headquarters for the AACA. Being held in October, it became the Fall meet. Pottstown Region wanted to host a spring meet, which they did as mentioned in June. Eventually other Regions wanted to host spring meets and the spring meet was moved from region to region.<BR> As for your plate, I've never seen one, so I can't tell you anything about it except what I've already covered.<P>------------------<BR>tsauto@v35.com<BR>AACA member, Pottstown Region<BR>'60 TR-3

Dan,<BR> Here's what the Fall 1954 issue of Antique Automobile Magazine had to say about the Pottstown Spring Meet.<P>The AACA SPRING MEET was held Saturday, June 12, at the Hill School in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, under the sponsorship of the Pottstown Region. The activities started Friday afternoon when the cars entered the lovely campus of Hill School where the 1952 Spring Meet had been held. Rooms were assigned in the comfortable dormitories. Many attended the fine party that evening at the Bill Pollock's lovely home before everyone assembled at a downtown movie house to see a special AACA showing of Genevieve and also a film produced for Austy Clark's Southampton Museum.<BR> Saturday morning a record 268 cars assembled at the nearby Hill athletic field. Refreshments were handled by Pottstown ladies and the proceeds went to the local hospital. Among the most interesting cars were the 1901 3-wheeler Knox, the 1904 Stanley and the 1914 Stellite.<BR> The Foo Dog Trophy for 1954 was awarded to R. G. Burkhart for his beautiful 1913 Rolls-Royce. The judges did a good job with almost forty cars in the 1906-1912 four cylinder Class No. 13 and other classes almost as crowded. The classifications committee welcomes suggestions for improving the classifications now in effect.<BR> The sealed time run for the Tydol Trophy was enjoyed by many. A parade through Pottstown's main streets followed the ending of the judging and the generous refueling at the TYDOL tank truck under the supervision of our friend Pete Blackburn.<BR> The excellent dinner at the air-conditioned downtown hall was followed by a few short talks by our distinguished guests including Pennsylvania's Lieutenant Governor Lloyd Wood. The awarding of the many beautiful prizes was made prior to the showing by Bob Guelich of Firestone's new sound and color film taken on the 1953 Glidden Tour.<BR> An informal program Sunday for the 100 persons and 50 cars remaining included an eleven mile treasure hunt and hill climb followed by a slow race in high gear, a gymkana event and a cranking contest. The meet, following luncheon on the grounds was over by 2 p.m. The weather, facilities and all arrangements were just tip-top and our thanks go to Hill School and everyone else that helped to make this a memorable weekend.<P>They certainly had a lot of fun with car games at the early meets! And imagine 268 antique autos driving through the center of town! What intrigues me is where are all those vehicles today? Being owned by collectors, surely they must still exist. We certainly don't see many out to our local shows of this vintage.<P>jnp

I remember seeing the parade of cars through Pottstown in 1952. That's what first sparked my interest in antique cars. I was 5 years old at the time. I remember sitting atop my dad's shoulders so I could see over the crowd. The sight of those odd looking cars with the shinny brass, funny sounding horns, and wierd exhaust whistles was really exciting to me. From then on I was hooked on old cars. <P>------------------<BR>tsauto@v35.com<BR>AACA member, Pottstown Region<BR>'60 TR-3

John & Tom,<P>Thanks for the information about the 1954 Annual Meet held in Pottstown. It sounds like they had a good time. As for all the cars that were there - - good question. Just think that with the AACA 25 year rule - - the newest car on the field was only a 1929. That must have been a sight to see. That is about the time that our family went to see a HCCA tour in Estes Park, CO. that was being held at the Stanley Hotel. I remember that I got to meet Floyd Clymer, he was driving a Royal Tourist, don't remember what year. - - Something that I will never forget. Some where I have a picture of him and myself together. I was about 10 years old at the time.<P>Dan