71 Centurion

Smartin

I was hunting around on the internet the other day and came across a 71 Centurion convertible in Hemmings.com. The car looked rather good and they were asking $6450 for it, so I assumed it was halfway decent. The car is located about an hour away from me so I went to look at it today.

This guy has about 500 cars in his lot (no joke) and they are all worth about half as much as he is asking on each. I finally found the convertible I was looking for. The first thing I saw was the maaco (could've been earl scheib) paint job. This can't be good. The collector car price guide says that a #1 condition Centurion convertible is $9200, #2 is 7100, etc.

My hail-damaged LeSabre (see link in my signature) is in better shape than this car. Are some people just stupid? Here is the link to the car's ad in Hemmings...also take a look at the dealer's website and see some of the trash he's selling.

Adam

1971 Buick Centurion

The Dealer

Would you pay 6500 for this car??

Red classic convertables generally go for a lot of money. I think you know better.

I was thinking of starting a business where I would take $2000 big cars like hardtop Centurions and turning them into convertibles and selling them for $6000.

I was ready to pay the $6450 price for the car until I saw it in person. Maybe I'm just a little bit pissed off about the whole situation. The guy told me it had a "brand new engine"....it's got a 455 that's never been touched. The rear wheel wells are nothing but bondo. Out of the 500 cars he had there, about 3 of them were worth the money.

I guess I was expecting to get a little more for my money, maybe not a half-assed resto that I could throw together in a week. I guarantee that if that car ever sees rain the rear clip's going to rust off.

Adam

I knew what dealer you were talking about before I even clicked on your link. I think some others on this board have made the trip out there, only to be disappointed as well. Just looking at the pictures on the website, most of the vehicles look like overpriced junk.

I looked at the car extensively...The Rear wheel wells are made of plastic, if you know what I mean, and it's about 2 inches think in some spots. 95% of these cars are amateur resto jobs at best. There is one 57 chevy there for about 49000 that looks good. Also, a 64 impala with 4 on the floor for 23000 - both sweet cars.

Adam