Classic Auto Air Trunk Unit for '55 Buick Roadmaster

Centurion

Several of us from the Northwest who are planning to drive to Flint for next year's National Meet have figured out that we need to install air conditioning in our 1950's vintage Buicks in order to keep spouses and families comfortable and happy. One of our members with a 1955 Roadmaster 76R is looking at installing the trunk unit air conditioning system offered by Classic Auto Air of Tampa, Florida.

Is anyone familiar with these systems? Has anyone installed one himself? How effective are they in keeping the car's interior cool? Any problems with the car overheating? Would it be necessary to obtain an original compressor mounting bracket for the 322-cid nailhead, or does Classic Auto Air sell mounting hardware that works well for this application? If we located an original dashboard air conditioning control for the '55 Buick, would it work with this new, after-market system? If you've purchased other systems from Classic Auto Air, have you found this to be a reputable company? Is Classic Auto Air knowledgeable about the exact items that would be required for each application?

Any and all information you can offer about these units and the Classic Auto Air company will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Brian, I have a 57 Special on a later chassis(72 Electra) and I put The classic Auto AC unit in it two years ago. It was the best thing I have done for the wife in YEARS.I have under dash Vintage AC in my 37 ,and no matter where you point the ducts, it hits you with a force. The AC on the package shelf comes up to the windshield,and just drifts back. I installed it after out BDE trip to Deadwood SD and it works great!

My car was the prototype for the system Classic Auto Air sells. I had them build one for my '54/264. The mounting brackets are good, and it will come with a Sanden compressor. I don't know if they have patterns for the brackets, but I live 45 miles from them, and could run the brackets over if they don't--should be the same for your 322. The ducts coming through the package tray do the job well. I personally don't like the modern look of them, and will be replacing them with a set of original clear plastic tubes when I rebuild the car, but what they sell works fine. My car had a 2-core Special radiator and no fan shroud--living in Florida, it wasn't happy to begin with. The Special rad was even smaller side-to-side than the Roadmaster units. I've since located a RoadMaster radiator and fan shroud, which I'm confident will let me idle in stop and go traffic with the A/C running.

I also retained the generator on my car, so there are no problems there if you want to keep yours. The Generator ran off a small belt coming off the dual pulley on the A/C compressor. There was no problem with that set up, but when I re-do it, I'll put dual-groove pulleys on the engine and water pump, and run two big belts, one to the generator, one to the compressor: Mainly so I have two long belts, and can get home in case one breaks.

-Brad

Brian

Classic auto air has redone several small parts for my 56 factory air and did a great job. I plan to send them my compressor this winter to rebuild

Judd

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Brian,

When you did have factory A/C on the 1955, the fan had 5 blades instead of 4. I would look for one of those, and the

bigger shroud.

I would also look for a thicker radiator. A good radiator shop can fabricate a 3 or 4 core unit to fit your opening.

The original radiators were barely adequate new, after 47 years they have to be somewhat plugged.

I'm not sure if you are still going for the mostly original look, but the output of the generator would be my next

concern. I would make sure your charging system is in top shape. There are also outfits that can rebuild a generator

and increase their output. You would also need a different regulator if you change the amperage on the

generator. If you are not concerned with originality, an alternator may be a good option.

Good Luck traveling to Flint. See you there!

Scott Mich BCA # 6619, OCA # 3947