Rattle noise in my 85 Cutlass 307

I have a 1985 Cutlass Supreme Brougham, V-8 307, with 52,000 original miles on it. When I first start the car up I hear this rattle noise, almost like loose change. Once it's warmed up the noise quiets down. Sounds like it's coming from underneath, but I just had the exhaust done so it's not the cat. Could this be coming from the lifters?

I also have a slight grinding noise when I am coming to a stop. We have no idea where this noise is coming from, other than the front end. It happens just as you come to a stop and if you let your foot off the brake slightly and roll forward. Has anyone heard of this?

Hydraulic lifters can leak down overnight and rattle on startup. Sometimes if they're stopped on the cam lobe high point they'll also rattle on startup. My experience with 307s is that it will probably be the rocker arm bridges or their retainers, especially if the engine hasn't had proper oil change maintenance.

It could also be the vacuum operated heat riser valve flapping around inside the exhaust manifold, or a leaking air injection manifold check valve.

Brakes sometimes just make noise. You can check to see if the metal wear detector finger is riding the rotor, or you can spray anti squeak compound on the back side of the pads where they contact the caliper.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, this car was owned by an old man in FLorida for many years and I do not have the complete history. I know we've kept up with the maintenance and oil changes since we have owned it. What are the chances that the problem is with the heat riser or the check valve and NOT the lifters or rocker arm??

Since this is my first experience with this type of problem, should I be concerned? In other words, am I going to try to start my car one day and have the engine blow if I do not have the problem, whether it's the lifters or rocker arm, fixed right away or is this something that can be lived with?