Door Trim Panel Question

I'm sure somebody's run into this before.

When you remove the door trim panel, the brackets (which are epoxyed to the trim panel) sometimes break, or were broken by a previous owner. Of course, this means the plastic plug that holds the panel to the door frame has nothing to fasten itself to.

Is there any fix, or is a used trim panel the only way out? I checked the dealer and they (quite expectedly) stated that the brackets and the plugs are N/A.

Thanks

This is what you do. I have had both of my door panels off so I know what I am talking about.

Get some string and some 5 minute epoxy.

You might want to lightly scuff the plastic part with sandpaper. Wrap the broken plastic part in string and also interweave some shorter pieces of string lengthwise across the break. I wouldn't completely mummy wrap the plastic part with the first layer. Mix up some 5-minute epoxy and using (a fresh) Q-tip paint it onto and into the string over the repair. It will soak through and into the string right to the plastic.

After it has set you have to decide whether you want to do a second layer of string and 5-minute epoxy for additional strength.

Make certain that you have not plugged the hole or got some 5-minute epoxy where the plastic fastener has to go through.

Done properly this repair should be stronger than the original plastic part. NOTE: 5-minute epoxy achieves its maximum strength after 24 hours when cured at the proper temperatures. See package.

I also lubricated the plastic fastener and the hole before I reassembled. When you put the panel back on make certain that all of the plastic fasteners are actually going into their proper holes. Lay on your back if you have to and go slowly.

When finished you will have a perfectly reattached door panel.

Why did you have it off? Could also be a good time to spray a Rust Check type product into the bottom of the door?

I just drilled sm. 1/16 holes in what was left of the plastic, then put the gromet pin back in place and use 1/16 straping wire to hold the pin in place. Drill the holes far enough apart and the pin still has movment for aligning into the door hole...........ken

So who's this new member that goes by the handle of EDBSO?? If I were Robert, I would sue!! Isn't <span style="font-style: italic">Easily Distracted Bt Shiny Objects</span> a Canadian trademark??

Robert??

Part of the original question was where to get replacement pins/studs.

Take a part or make a sketch with dimensions to the wrecking yard and look at similar GM cars around 1988-1991. There are usually door panels lying around already removed. Find what you need and get a couple of extras for later.

Hummmm

Would that be the 'merican thing to do?

<span style="font-style: italic">The in group know.</span> confused.gif

Is <span style="font-style: italic">Sue</span> attractive or blond?

Thanks for the responses. Gives me a number of alternatives.

I don't know why it's lists the question being from "anonomous", I'm sure I logged in. But whenever I ask or answer a question from work, we've got so many antivirus, and carnivore-like programs and devices, it's a wonder any of my stuff gets out.