1931 Pontiac roadster : starter needed

42319DB34

The starter for this engine is the same as for a 1930 Pontiac 6 (Delco Remy 714-R).  I believe the motors are the same for many years but it is the 'Bendix' unit that changed from year to year.  Is it that they don't have one at all?  If they have one rebuilding is probably the best option and there are shops that do that.   What part of the world would the service be needed?  In either case you can searching eBay (sometimes they pop up), Hemmings for a new one or rebuild shop, Pontiac Oakland Club, Early Times Chapter of Pontiac Oakland Club (Speciality Chapter of Pontiac Oakland Club), and Oakland Pontiac Worldwide (chapter of AACA).   Those club resources are excellent and it can connect you to a network of owners. You can also private message me.  I may have some parts that could work for this car but not guarantees.  I have not inventoried my current spares.  This is a very rare car.  You say roadster but it is probably a Convertable Coupe.  I keep a registry of split head Pontiacs (1926-1932) and would like to add this car to my list.

If you have a core it should not be difficult to have it rebuilt.  I had mine done a few years ago and the only delay was for an armature (4 days).  The parts used on this starter were in common usage as long as the flat head chrysler industrial engines were made.  I have a complete starter, from switch to drive, that was working when removed from the car that is excess to my needs.

Common usage has all starter drives being called a bendix but there are two distinct types as illustrated below. Bendix (the top one) drives are engaged by the spinning of the armature and disengaged by the over running of the flywheel.  The "other" starter drive is engaged by a foot pedal or a solenoid and disengage the same as a'Bendix".  Pontiac only used bendix starter drives until 1928.

bendix.jpg

ABC287.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Starter is from a low mileage Canadian Pontiac that spent 20 years in a garage that collapsed on it. It is grubby, partially from being under a garage and partially from 30 years on a shelf. From the tag you can see that it is a Delco Remy built by McKinnon industries (Canadian).  It spins under 6 volts, the drive extends and retracts smoothly and the brushes appear only half worn.  If my starter packed it in I would probably just spray this one with brake clean, wipe and install it.  I have been told that $125-$175 should be the price range.  Shipping from Vancouver Island to 37217 by Post is $110 for guaranteed 3 day service or $70 for 4 business day service.  

I would like to have a photo of the engine and the outside of the roadster for my collection.

DSC03049.JPG

DSC03048.JPG