1938 Buick Y Job in 1:18-scale

Centurion

I recently order the Fairfield Mint's beautiful 1:18-scale 1949 Buick Roadmaster convertible for $29.99. Not surprisingly, I am now on the company's mailing list, and received the latest catalog this week. I was pleased to see that the beautiful 1938 Buick Y-Job dream car is now being offered in the large 1:18-scale. Needless to say, I placed my order (about $40) immediately. Fairfield Mint will waive the shipping charges if you order two cars at once, so this might be an opportunity to pick up both the Y-Job and the '49 Roadmaster. Toll free number for ordering is: 1-800-964-8908.

By the way, the catalog states that the Y-Job has been re-created "to celebrate Buick's 100 Year Anniversary".

I hope that strong sales of these large-scale Buicks will prompt additional offerings. Wouldn't it be great to see 1:18-scale '53 and '54 Skylarks, '42 - '48 Roadmaster Sedanettes or convertibles, '58 Limited, '59 Electra 225, '63 Riviera, etc.?

I would also buy a '62 Invicta Estate Wagon model, but it's unlikely we'll see one anytime soon.

Regarding small-scale Centurions, a German maker of very high-quality 1/43-scale models -- VF Modellauto -- announced plans a couple of years ago to offer a '72 Centurion Formal Coupe. To my knowledge, none of these have yet been made, and they would probably sell for about $300.

Regarding the 1/43 scale model of the 1956 Buick Centurion concept car, these can be obtained from:

Great American Dream Machines

www.gadm.com

866-883-6150

These 1/43-scale white metal models are made in England, and many of the exciting U.S. dream cars of the '50's and '60's are included in the collection. They are quite expensive, so I assume that the quality is very high. The following dream Buicks are offered:

1938 (GADM says 1939) Buick Y-Job $199

1951 Buick LeSabre $225

1956 Buick Centurion $225

The website says that the 1954 Wildcat II will be offered soon.

The Franklin Mint is also offering a 1/24-scale 1951 LeSabre for about $125.