Automodello Mustang II 1:24

I have a friend who collects Mustang memorabilia. He has a basement full of all sorts of Mustang items from models to posters and it is a stunning collection to behold. As fascinating as his collection may be, there is one item missing, a 1:24 scale model of the 1963 Mustang II Concept. Thanks to Automodello that hole can now be neatly filled with a model that is as beautiful as it is unusual.

The model in question represents the Mustang II Concept in one of two versions; in Wimbleton white with blue stripes or Rangoon red with white stripes. Both are stunning, but this author happens to like Mustangs in red just a little better than white. Either way the paint is applied to absolute perfection with a mirror smooth finish that is remarkable for its depth and uniformity. Paint quality is something Automodello does particularly well, but it is remarkable because so much of it is perfect, even the lower extremities and reverse angles.

While the exterior is exceptional, where this model really shines is in the interior. If I may, let me introduce you to the door lock buttons. They are rendered perhaps slightly out of scale, but they work perfectly in the setting.  Diameters of things like the steering wheel rim and thickness of the gear shifters are pet peeves of mine. No problem exists with this example as these items are represented in such a way to look very believable.  The steering wheel is a multi-media part using both photo-etched metal and plastic bits. The iconic Mustang in the center cap of the steering wheel is immediately recognizable.

As has become typical of Automodello offerings, the gauges are legible, and the window and knobs are all in perfect scale.  I invite you to look at the photo of the ventilation controls and the radio; both beautifully engraved with the AM stations appearing as if one could tune in the oldies. The interior is finished in a two-tone white and blue on my example, with lines between the two colors being razor sharp. Carpeting is represented using a convincing material that mimics the look of factory carpet material.

Owners of the Mustang II Concept have the option of displaying the model either top up, with a correctly contoured removable hardtop or with the top off. The top itself mates seamlessly with both the windshield and the decklid and features a crystal-clear glass rear window. This part clearly demonstrates the lineage between the Mustang II Concept and the production Mustang. While the top is a truly well fashioned part, this author would hesitate to install it because it tends to obscure the beautiful interior, the part of the model that is irresistible.

If one has gathered that this author likes this model a lot, you would be correct. Typically, when reviewing a model I take it out of the box, photograph it and seal it back up for safe keeping. In the case of the Mustang II Concept I keep going back to it sitting in my work area, exploring detail after detail. I suspect you will do the same if you choose to add this splendid model to your collection.  I would strongly recommend this model, even if it were “just another” Mustang. It is not. It is a magnificent rendition of a rare subject that has been well overdue.

Buy from Automodello www.automodello.com

Tribute edition in red: $ 349.95

Standard edition in white $ 249.95

Respectfully submitted,

Eric Macleod

Mustang 1.jpg

Mustang 3.jpg

Mustang dash.1.jpg

Mustang int.1.jpg