LOW AC ON MY 1989

charlie1

i keep getting a message on the crt that the freon may be low (r12). had it checked for leaks but none can be found sees to occur on chilly somewhat damp mornings. system is full of r12.

was going to replace low pressure switch, was told you do not have to drain freon as their is a schrader valve under it ?

ANY THOUGHTS FROM THE EXPERTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

CHAS

Freon does slowly leak over time. In cooler weather it also does not expand and create the additional pressure it would on an eighty degree day. In all likelyhood you have a very slooooow leak that you can't find, might even be at clutch bearing. Chances in spring when temperatures increase in PA your low refrigerant warning may disappear. You may have also noticed marginal cooling in recent months. Likely you are down a pound or so.

Keep watching there are always a number of similar posts at this time of year.

Thanks Howard. You posted while I was composing mine, there will be others smile.gif

thanks folks,

2 years ago i put in a rebuilt gm conpressor. last summer i had the evaporator replaced. thought i had the problem fixed. we added dye in r12 and still cannot find a leak. guess i will just have to save my small supply of r12 i have left.

thinking about jumping lower pressure switch!

thanks

chas

Guest Greg Ross

It's also conceivable it's an electrical fault/ poor connector conductivity at the low pressure sensor. I've had the 'Warning Low A/C Refrigerant" happen about twice in the past six years after messing around unde the Cowl Cover at the Firewall. Last time this happened was when I was changing out the Wiper Motor and Arms. If the connector to the Low Pressure sensor is distrubed even with the Car not running/ Ignition Off" it will register. It's possibly this and to me a reminder to carry on disconnecting and applying electrical contact cleaner to all those plug Connectors I didn't get to the last time I was inspired to do some Housekeeping. wink.gif

Nick Walker and I were talking about this last night, with the low voltage circuits used for signaling in many of these "On-Board" Systems, any amount of oxidation on the pins and Sockets in the multitude of Connectors on our cars can play "Havoc" with Troubleshooting, particularly intermittant problems and faults.

You can always get radical and replace all these connectors with Aviation/ Gold Plated hardware. tongue.gif

thanks i knew i would get some good advice from the experts.

funny just changed wiper motor last week!(will check things out)

what do you think of die electric grease on connector pins?

chas

I prefer the following; The best electrical protection there is. See products 7,8 and 10

<span style="font-weight: bold"> DetoxIT; </span>

Deoxidizer, Cleaner, Lubricant & Preservative for Metal Electrical Connections.

Improves Conductivity

Deoxidizes, Cleans & Preserves

Reduces Intermittent Connections

Reduces Arcing & RFI

Reduces Wear & Abrasion

Extended Temperature Range, -34oC to 200oC

DeoxIT is a fast-acting deoxidizing solution that cleans, preserves, lubricates and improves conductivity on metal connectors and contacts.

Use as a general treatment for connectors, contacts and other metal surfaces.

Used prior to applying ProGold or PreservIT. Has a fast acting cleaner to dissolve oxidation and corrosion.

<span style="font-weight: bold"> ProGold; ProGold GxL</span>

Conditioner, Preservative & Lubricant For Electrical Connections

Improves Conductivity

Maintains Optimum Signal Quality

Protects Base Metals from Oxidation

Forms Protective Anti-Tarnishing Layer

Reduces Arcing, RFI and Intermittent Connections

Reduces Wear and Abrasion

Extended Temperature Range, -45oC to 400oC

ProGold is specifically formulated to improve conductivity and provide long lasting protection on gold, precious metals and their base metals. It conditions connectors, contacts, and other metal surfaces, thus enhancing the conductivity characteristics to efficiently transmit electrical signals.

ProGold outperforms all other contact cleaners, enhancers and lubricants. Due to its unique properties, it deoxidizes and cleans surface contamination, penetrates plated surfaces and molecularly bonds to the base metals. NO OTHER PRODUCT DOES THIS. ProGold increases the performance and reliability of all electrical equipment. It improves conductivity for greater definition and dynamics, reduces noise and interference, and lowers distortion. Unlike other products, it also stabilizes connections between similar and dissimilar metals. ProGold provides long lasting protection (1-10 years) on gold, silver, rhodium, copper, nickel and other precious metals.

Physical and chemical changes in the surface condition of electrical or electronic connectors are primary causes of degraded performance of components and equipment. When contact surfaces are exposed to dust, smoke, gases, soot, and other solids suspended in the atmosphere, nonmetallic films form, inhibiting conductivity. Added resistance and friction between metal surfaces can also cause abrasion, noise, freeze-up, and in some cases, increased power consumption.

ProGold GxL should be used in applications that require longer-lasting protection and higher temperatures. For example; connectors near engine compartments in autos and trucks, and vacuum tube pins and sockets.

<span style="font-weight: bold"> PreservIT </span>

PreservIT seals, lubricates and preserves metal surfaces against oxidation and contamination. USE ON: clean/new surfaces or those precleaned with DeoxIT. PreservIT contains no cleaners or deoxidizers. It provides long-lasting protection for newly manufactured components or those cleaned by ultrasonics, DeoxIT or other procedures.

It's hard for me to believe that GM would add cut into their profits and add something that probably won't be needed while the car is still in warranty. But I guess anything is possible.

Be absolutely certain there is a valve before you remove the switch with a charged system. Refrigerant can cause serious bodily harm.