leaning out a carb

JUSTIN

65 401 riv with 600 eldebrock carb. smells like it running rich, so I try to lean out the carb. passenger side screw makes car idle slower when its about 1 turn out and less. but driver side doesnt seem to make much diff. what if I screw it in all the way and drive it? second question: if you lean the car out so much that the idle drops then adjust the idle higher, what effect would that have. what are the characteristics of a too lean carb. and can it hurt anything?

The "Idle Mixture Screws" your adjusting should both make a difference when turned, if not then there would be a blockage somewhere. Start by removing the screw that doesn't do anything and blast some carb cleaner in it. If that doesn't clear it up, then it might be rebuild time.<BR>Turn the scews all the way in (lightly seated) then back out 1 1/2 turns, start the car and adjust for highest idle. Back the idle down if necessary and readjust as required.(most of the time both of the screws will end up being between 1 and 2 turns out for best idle quality). Running the car with one plugged wont hurt anything because your not "techincally" leaning out the carb, that's done by changing the jets, your only effecting "Idle" mixture.

Also, if it smells rich then you probably have a Needle and Seat or Float problem.<BR>If the car is flooding then the Idle mixture screws will not adjust properly.<P>Is this a stock motor?<BR>If your running a big cam then low vacuum at idle might be an issue also.

stock rebuilt motor. new eldebrock carb. 4 months old. runs fine just smells like its rich. and of course the mileage is about 11mpg. can the needle be ruined? if i unscrew the needle and it looks ok then can the seat be ruined.<P>i guess i dont understand what that needle is doing. is that ONLY idle mixture?

Its better to be to rich than to lean. You can burn valves with a too lean engine. Carburated engines are always adjusted slightly rich just to be safe. You can buy an oxygen sensor and gauge from Jegs or Summit or JC Whitney. It will take some of the guess work out of it.<BR>Tomsriv