A fix for the floppy eared sun visor

AZVET

My 30 year old driver side sun visor had the typical broken ear that would hang down.  It looked nasty.  I removed the old one and asked my wife if she could recover it using the left over material from my headliner re-do.  The material on that visor was worn through, thread bare and looking its age.  She said it was beyond her skills.

I was able to find a used one of the correct color with an intact ear.  But once again the material was toast.

I took it to a local upholstery shop that charges $70/hour for labor.  He said it would be a 1/2 hour job so I gave it to him and got it back the next day.  Looks great!

I was looking at my old one and decided to take it apart to see how it was made.  I also discovered that I could reattach the ear with plumbers PVC pipe tape that I had laying around.  The stuff is super sticky and quite flexible.  

I took a few pics for those who might be interested.  I will give my old visor to anyone who wants it to use for parts.  It came from my 88.  I removed the latch pin that clips it to the roof but the lights work, the mirror is in good shape and the lid opens and closes at it should.  FREEBIE!  Just pay postage from 86409.

Here is the tape I used, the part that is a jam fit into the visor, and the before and after pics of the tape repair.

DSCF2478.JPG

DSCF2479.JPG

DSCF2480.JPG

DSCF2481.JPG