No Engine Turn-68 Cadillac

Tried to start my car and noticed all my fuel had spilled out. But what is odd is that when I turn the key, engine doesn't even turn over. Battery is practically new, I charged it anyway. Still nothing...

Any ideas as to where I should start? Thanks in advance.

KEN

You didn't mention if the started turned over or if the solenoid clicked, are any of these things happening or are you getting nothing at all? Do your lights work? sometimes a bad ground will do it. let us know what's working or not working as the case may be.

I love your photo...gave me a good chuckle!! That's right no clicking from solenoid at all. I did notice that ground doesn't connect anywhere, just sort of dangling. NO lights, no power windows or dome light doesn't come on.

So you think ground cable is culprit? I think somebody got in there and removed it. In theory it can just connect to any part of the body as long as its metal right?

Basic battery faq's Your car is negative ground so the negative cable should be connected to the engine or chassis while your positive lead goes to the solenoid and from there to the starter with smaller leads for power tapped off of it. Some GM cars,of which yours may be one have a combination solenoid-clutch mounted atop the starter, start with your battery wiring first, easy enough to tell the correct polarity by following the long lead to the starter or solenoid, this is your positive lead+ and as mentioned negative leads are mounted on the engine,chassis, inner fender,anywhere you can get a good ground, trace your wires and let us know, hope this helps some.

L.I.,

No problem in determining polarity, but negative has a loose wire with an eyelet on the end. That's the ground wire but don't remember it dangling before. I'll find a screw and fasten that to the fender well so that it's touching metal. I'll try getting a jump start from a buddy. If it starts, I'll let it run so alternator can charge up.

P.S. No clutch as you mentioned, car has AT.

Some late 60s GM cars have a small gage ground wire from the battery (-) post to the fender that if not connected, will make one do all grades of weird things including not starting. Others have this small gage wire run from the engine block ground point to the frame. If the heavy battery (-) cable is connected properly at both the battery post and the engine block, and there is a small wire at the terminal that is not connected to anything, then connect it to the fender and see if the car will start. This applies to the (-) side only, <span style="font-weight: bold">do not connect any wire from the battery (+) directly to ground</span> unless you want arcs and sparks- shocked.gifshocked.gif and not cool.gif

KMatthews, it sounds like someone either tried to steal your battery or decided to have some "fun" with you. If you're not completely sure what has happened here or how to repair it, consult a mechanic. It would be cheaper than an electrical fire.

Well that was an easy fix...it was the battery. All the juice had been zapped out of it, don't know how but she's working now. Still concerned about the leaking gas, so I'll keep a close look on it and for now park on level ground (hehehe).

Anyone know where I can pick up some fuel line (both rubber and metal) to replace?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this is consistent with all 1968 Cadillacs (there were some changes midyear), but my Deville convertible's ground is a thick-mesh, naked steel cable that connects to the front of the chassis. I'm sure any good place on the engine or chassis will/has done the trick.

Hope you enjoy your Caddy for years to come