schiefer aluminum flywheel

Guest miked

I just purchased an aluminum flywheel for a 364. Does anyone have any experience with them? I also got the bell housing to fit a Chevy 4 speed to the 364, they were both originally from the same car but I don't know what clutch will fit. (I'm figuring a Chevy clutch) The flywheel has 3 sets of two threaded holes, spaced evenly around the circumference. Thanks!

I might recommend that you get the flywheel checked for cracks prior to installation. Aluminum connecting rods have a definite life expectancy before they should be chunked and I suspect aluminum flywheels could be similar.

As I recall, aluminum flywheels were popular in the '60s. Their main advantage was light weight and resultantly less reciprocating weight for the engine, compared to the normal cast iron flywheel. The lighter weight flywheel would allow the engine to rap up quicker in neutral but would resultantly store less centrifugal energy as the engine runs before the clutch is engaged. This could result in more rpms being necessary to engage the clutch when starting from a dead stop or prior to at drag strip start.

A heavy weight flywheel would let a lower power motor tolerate a sudden clutch engagement without killing the motor due to the higher level of stored energy whereas the lighter flywheel equiped motor might not tolerate that activity so well. Therefore, the cast iron flywheel engine would be easier to launch but slower to rev up under full throttle whereas the lighter flywheel engine would be trickier to get off the line but would rev quicker once underway. Kind of a trade-off of sorts.

I recall seeing a comparison of this sort in one of the Hot Rod Magazine annuals from the early '60s. Seems like they were using a high performance VW motor for the test engine/vehicle, but the principles would be the same with a larger engine.

Hope this helps you understand some of the issues of light weight flywheels.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

This is my plan: Pull my hot rod 364 from my '60

Install it, with a muncie in a model A 2dr sdn

build a 401 for the '60 or sell her w/o the engine.

In the 60ies I had a 54 Stude with a 321 Pontiac engine a Chevy 3 speed and a schiefer alum flywheel. After meeting someone at the local drag strip wholost his foot when one of them blew up, I installed a scattershield...

ouch. Ok, how 'bout this? Aluminum flywheel goes in the display case with the other pieces of drag racing history (before it hurts somebody), does anyone have a flywheel (iron) to fit a chevy clutch and disk to a 364?

Guest 31tudor

Hey miked,

Looks like we're thinking along the same lines... but I just couldn't pull the 401/TH400 out of my '62 Wagon for my '31 Tudor. There's only one thing better than a built flatty in an A, and that's a Nail!

Guest 31tudor

I forgot to mention that Fidanza Flywheels are very nice people, very helpful, and their prices are right. I have a catalog in front of me and I don't see any Buick goodies but the catalog is two years old.

Go to www.aluminumflywheels.com and take a look. Just bought one for an 8BA flatty. I can't wait to hear it rap out through Red's Headers and a pair of Smitty's!!!