Headlight Success & Barney's latest bellcrank idea

Guest Geoff Meador

Guest Geoff Meador

It's a great day in Texas!

I started my attempted headlight repair at 2:30 today, and put the finishing touches on the job at 7:00! Great!

FINDS: My bellcrank, thankfully, was intact. I must admit I was surprised. Upon opening the gear housing, though, I was greeted by the "shattered rock candy" that used to be my plastic rollers.

motor.jpg

After an enlightening phone call to Mr. Eaton, I had the dimensions of the original rollers. A quick trip to Lowe's later, I set off to the workshop with a bag of nylon "spacers' in almost correct dimensions. After a bit of filing and beveling, I had the three rollers necessary for the fix.

The initial tests of the rebuilt mechanism are encouraging. I was afraid things had been "too easy," but it out-performs my other not-yet-failed headlight. I imagine the other motor is in need of repair, as well.

Although I didn't need it, I was also happy to have a copy of Barney's latest bellcrank fix. At his request, I've posted it below. Thanks for everyone's help!

bellcrank.jpg

Thanks for posting the latest "fix", I was hoping it would be easier to read. However, if you are skilled enough to make the part, you probably understand the function and can guess the dimensions. I can send a copy directly to anyone that ask for it.

The earlier design relied on a small notch in a washer to "lock" the motor shaft to the damaged bellcrank. That notch would not stand the torque and would shear within a few headlight openings.

This design is much stronger. The thickness of the metal part should be at least 1/16 of an inch....the thicker the better....BUT as it get thicker, you loose threads for the nut. If you have access to a mill, you can remove material from the back of the bellcrank and make the bracket much thicker.

Barney;

I thing that you underestimate the strength and elegance of your filed washer fix.

The fault if any is in the execution. The washer has to be filed to an exact fit. If any filing errors are to be made make the filed area slightly too small and have a press fit. A dollop of BJ Weld might also work here. I made your washer fix this spring and it is still working perfectly and I did not use the BJ Weld which would have made it stronger. I did scuff the smooth washer with a coarse sand paper to give it a bit of a bite.

It really is a good fix if done carefully, Robert

When you put the new nylon rollers in, what do you lubricate them with? I bought rollers from the Corvette parts place in Fla and am wondering what I need to lube them with?

How did you know what to buy at Loews and how to modify the spacers. What was the department at Loews that you purchased same

Thanks JOE (NJ)

Guest Buick Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When you put the new nylon rollers in, what do you lubricate them with? </div></div>

Just drop them in. No lubrication.

Mike

Guest Geoff Meador

At Lowe's there is a "hardware" section featuring drawers of screws, bolts, and other such small things. That's where you'll find small bags of 1.0"x0.5" nylon spacers. Cut them in half, remove 1/16" from each in length and 0.01 from each in diameter and you're set. 80 cents will get the parts you need.

OR... you can, as Barney pointed out, order the "real thing" for only 5 bucks. I was just in need of a good project when I decided on Lowe's.

meadorg;

You could have durability problems with your nylon parts.

Eckler's are not nylon but more durable<span style="font-weight: bold"> Delrin </span> bushings.

If a job is worth doing it is worth doing it correctly. FYI spray nozzles from paint cans will <span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-style: italic">fit and work.</span> </span> Not recommended nononon2.gif but will fit.

I am in the process of attempting my left headlight motor fix which needs help opening but stays up once it's in the up position.

I also ordered the rollers and I probably will try the modified washer routine.

Guest Geoff Meador

If it turns out to be a "dumb mistake" I'll be the first to let everyone know about it... THEN everyone is welcome to expound upon the error of my ways wink.gif

Thanks to Barneys instructions I:

Bought new bellcarnks at www.gmpartsdirect.com,

New rollers from the Corvette parts place in Fla.

I started the project at 7:30 A.M. and finished at 3:30 P.M.

All went well till I snapped the heads off two of the 1/4 inch bolts that holds the rollers on the driver's side and one on the passenger's side.

It took about five hours to find someone home with a drill press so I could drill out the old bolts.

The rollers looked like crushed peanuts in both units but all is well and the lights come up on their own again.

Great instructions, thanks Barney.

EDBB, my friend, did you see that your $4.99 set of three Delrin bushings is being advertised on eBay (Item #1867595366) for $12.00? Not a bad mark-up....

Jerry

I bought the rollers form the Corvette place too. Upon reassembly, is it supposed to be a press fit? I had to take a block of wood and a hammer and tap the assembly together. Beings they are "rollers", I can't see how they are going to roll at all.

I checked the alignment of the rollers, nylon gear, and steel cover a number of times. Nothing wrong there.

I did, Robert, and all I can say is <span style="font-weight: bold">Hoooray for the Caveat Emptor Capitalistic Free-enterprise System</span>! First thing tomorrow I'm going to buy one of mdoyne1's primo convertibles on eBay and then add blue license plate lights, Blind-the-Oncoming Xeon headlights, bilge-pump turbocharger and 20-inch Cragar wires with gangster whitewalls. Take that, purists!

Jerry

I found that placing the rollars alongside the shaft and pushing it into the nylon gear worked fine with some constant pressue. It just popped in after a few seconds. Placing the rollars into the gear just did not do it.