DOOR PANELS

Guest NASCAR

Guest NASCAR

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY LUCK TRYING TO REPAIR THE CRACKS ON THE DOOR PANELS WHERE THE SEAT AND WINDOW CONTROLS ARE MINE IS BLUE AND I HAVE SEEN INTERIOR REPAIR KITS WHERE YOU CAN MIX AND MATCH COLORS BUT I'VE NEVER WORKED WITH IT ALSO CAN YOU TIGHTEN THAT CONTROL PANEL HAS ANYONE TRYED ?

You can repair the cracks with a vinyl repair kit. Follow the instructins in the kit thoroughly. If you don't get the color just right you can use vinyl color spray to blend it in. For 88-89 blue use Plasti-Kote Vinyl Color 427 Slate Blue. The secret for the spray is that you have to dust it on so very lightly and let it dry between coats. If you spray a wet coat it will look like paint and be damaged.

Sorry, my friend, but using a vinyl repair kit on a [color:\\"blue\\"] flexing area of vinyl is like putting Bondo over a rusted-out body panel. Looks good for a few weeks, then worse than ever. I had the same problem last year, and had the best repair guy in Southern California do the work. Beautiful...until I started putting my elbow on the armrest. Do the right thing: find the best upholstery place around and have them recover the entire lower portion of the panel. Mine cost $175 with a perfect texture/color match and no problems since.

I have done it both ways. I prefer a good vinyl repair to a reupholster job for a small split. If it is a larger damaged area, consider having it recovered. However having the armrest recovered will probably have a slightly different apperance than original. This is due to the original vinyl be molded and the repair being stitched near the rear side of the armrest because the repair vinyl comes with a fabric backing that limits the stretch. If anybody knows different -- please inform us. Thanks.

I should also mention that for the vinyl repair to be done correctly, you must fill the hole with the backing cloth and adhesive. If you skip this step, then you will have a weak repair which will seperate and probably look worse than it originaly did.