Anyone used Slip Plate to coat exhaust manifolds?

Bdad

When the '63 Riv goes back to the shop on the 20th to either fix or remove the heat gate and replace the choke line I'm going to have them pull both exhaust manifolds. Local shop will sand blast them for me for $50 (they are both a bit rusted). I'm planning on having the blaster shop spray the cast iron with Slip Plate Graphite Aerosol. Anyone have any experiences with the graphite spray? Reading other classic car forums it gets good reviews. Appreciate any comments.

I've never hear of Slip Plate.  I've used Eastwood manifold paint with good results.  I have the brush on but i prefer the spray on.  Calyx manifold paint has been brought up a bunch as well.  Eastwood sells a version of this to.  I think the key is, even after blasting clean it really well then paint away.   

SHOW RESULTS when finished...

Gary

1 hour ago, flh73 said:

I've never hear of Slip Plate.  I've used Eastwood manifold paint with good results.  I have the brush on but i prefer the spray on.  Calyx manifold paint has been brought up a bunch as well.  Eastwood sells a version of this to.  I think the key is, even after blasting clean it really well then paint away.   

SHOW RESULTS when finished...

Gary

Just dropped the car off. Will share pics of before and after.

I used the aerosol on H-60 helicopter parts with a very nice uniform paint-like cover. But there is no hi-temp spray version I know of.

Slip Plate sells a high temp version but its brushed on.

I don't believe any of it hardens so it would have to be applied after install?

9 hours ago, PWB said:

I used the aerosol on H-60 helicopter parts with a very nice uniform paint-like cover. But there is no hi-temp spray version I know of.

Slip Plate sells a high temp version but its brushed on.

I don't believe any of it hardens so it would have to be applied after install?

When researching it I read posts in Ford, chevy and other forums from those who used it. They said it dries and binds with the iron and doesn't rub off. Those who said they tried it gave it positive reviews with no reports of problems. We'll see.

2nd view of slip plate coating on exhaust manifolds. They go back on the car next Monday. Blasting shop said the manifolds were in good shape and that they used 1 can to spray both but really could have done with 1/2 a can. So they got multiple coats.

63Riv_ExhMan_2.jpg

• Like 3