1992 LeSabre Limited info needed

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

I missed out on the 92 LeSabre Custom with hail damage for $995, but I have found a excellent - non damaged 92 LeSabre Limited for $2995. Not sure of the miles, but it has all options, including leather, alloy wheels and all power options. It is white with blue interior. KBB value is $3,995 in EC. Is the car worth $2,995? Other than that other 92, I have not seen them priced this low before around here. I may can get the car for $2,500, but I am not sure. Thanks for any info.

LeSabre Limiteds should have had leather and alloy wheels "standard", as I recall. Should be a nice car, except for me the chassis calibration is just toooo soooffftttttt. Go into a dip, the wheel extends, the body follows, suspension compresses, rebounds upward, then settles downward, suspension compresses, and does a final rebound. The LeSabre I rented in the later '90s did that and I thought the struts were worn out at 15,000 miles--until I paced an elderly lady on the interstate in her original '87 or so Park Avenue which "bounced" the same way. Obviously, an attempt to mimic the smooooth ride of '50s Buicks in a smaller wheelbase version for the "traditional Buick customer". YIKES! No wonder we put Bonneville production struts on LeSabres wtih "bottoming out" complaints under warranty! All of that changed with the firmer calibrations on the 2000 and up LeSabres with no loss of ride comfort--which I like much better, for many reasons.

Other than the suspension items, the cars were good cars that were nice, luxurious, etc. and got good fuel economy. I'd look for one with the gauge package for general principles. Fit and finish were also good, and seemed a little better on the cars built in Flint (for some reason).

Most problems were related to harmonic balancer/pulley's rubber cushion coming apart and letting the counterweight swing around and make noise plus the "Interrupter" magnet in the cam sprocket for the computer's cam sensor falling out and the engine stopping as a result of the sensor not having a signal. Seems like we sold a good number of crankshaft position sensors too. Nothing really earthshatteringly bad, just some "common" deals that were easy to fix if you knew what to look for.

Remember that Kelly Blue Book was developed for the banking people and is not an accurate guide of vehicular value other than for banking loan purposes. The "Black Book" will have more accurate trade-in values as it's related to actual auction prices paid by dealers. In that respect, the $2995 pricing would be more "real world" accurate than the KBB $3995 value. You might also run the VIN through one of the "pay for" databases to check for insurance payouts on it too. Key thing is to be an informed shopper, as always.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for the info. I too have noticed that the LeSabres have super soft suspension. My grandparents 96 LeSabre Custom is the same way. Actally, I got a even better deal on a 1992 Park Avenue. See other post. Thanks again.