Hurst 4spd????????

Guest Dave Wyatt

I have only seen one non console 70 up close and it used the same shifter as my 70 with console. Both had the offset stick that brought the handle up closer to center.

A guy who has one for sale said that the non-console shifter handle was different thatn the one for a console - I need one for a console but the way he talks it won't work - hate to spend the money on something that might not work -thanks for your help though

Guest Dave Wyatt

The unfortunate part of the 70 OEM Hurst shifter was the fixed stick. By that I mean, it was not bolted on like the regular Hurst shifters you got at the speed shop. You can swap handles on those to fit whatever. What you may want to do, is go to your local Olds dealer and look up the part numbers in their old books and see what they say.

My original handle is going to end up bolted to the after market Hurst in the car now, with some creative machining. Only if someone gets way too nosey will they figure it out. And at that point they'll have to figure out how to remove my foot from their back side!

Dave,

Thanks for the info - I'll see if Olds can help me out with part #'s - that's if they still have the books - lol - take care

Brian

The 1974 edition parts book says:

1970-72 F85 synchromesh trans w/ console, p/n 405534 lever, floor shift (Hurst- stamped "H") (less knob)

1970-72 F85 S.T. except console or 1971 4400 HD trans, p/n 406713 lever, floor shift (Hurst-stamped "H") (less knob)

So it appears there is some difference. Differences also show up between console and non-console in 1964-69 and 1973 applications, and between F85/Cutlass and 442 1965-69, difference there being 442 shifters had "442" stamped into them.

thanks for the info - so I guess I need to be looking for part # 405534? Is the F-85 part # the same as the Cutlass S part # for the Hurst shifter w/ console?