RED LITE DISTRICT !!!

68 lesabre4dr

Get a "real" charging system load check done on the vehicle. Also make sure all battery terminal connections are CLEAN and tight (they might look good but have a hidden corrosion shield that you can't see). Load/output bench checks done at auto supplies don't always give an accurate indication of what the alternator is really putting out under load in the vehicle. Also make sure the battery is fully charged and has no residual drain(s) on it too.

The warning light operates on a "voltage bias" sort of arrangement such that when it glows or is fully red, voltage is flowing the wrong way in the system (as in discharge on a gauge). There's also a possibility that something is not fully grounded and is trying to ground via that alternator light circuit.

Those systems were pretty basic back then and a GM Service Manual should answer all of your questions in how to troubleshoot the system PLUS theory of operations.

Hope that helps . . .

NTX5467

I have a 1967 Electra and i had the same problem with the alternator light glowing.

After checking that the alternator did work ok, i found out that the cables from the engine compartment that goes through the firewall and in to the coupe had a bad connection...

On the firewall, there is a small socket which is connected with a red wire and it was some rust on it...

After i sanded and cleaned it up the alt-light did not glove any more...

Try to see if you have the same problem...

Good luck

Jannelu

I had a 71 Pontiac this happened to. Replaced everything. Finally got a real voltage check as previous post suggets and found out there was nothing wrong with the charging system just the light. Drove it for 3 years with a glow and no trouble.

What about something rather basic, say, like a bad or loose alternator belt? I had a simmilar problem in my '72 and '80 Skylarks, and replacing, or tightening the belt solved the problem. (for me at least)

THANKS FOR REPLY--- NEW BELTS AND EVEN SANDBLASTED AND PAINTED PULLEY WITH FACTORY PAINT. IJUST HAD SURGERY ON ROTATER CUFF AND TORN BICEP SO ITLL BE A FEW WEEKS BEFORE DOCTOR LETS ME PLAY IN GARAGE!!!!!!!! OUCH----- ANYWAYS MANY THANX TO ALL, ILL PRINT ALL OF THIS OFF AND REVIEW LATER, WORSE CASE I HAVE SRATCH PAPER IN GARAGE,NOW I JUST NEED TO REMEMBER A PEN!!!!!!! P/S ANYONE GOT A LIGHT ? ONE ARM BUICK DUDE SOL------- C/YA ALL!