exhaust manifold bolts

All hail to pb blaster!!! One weeks use and nearly a whole can of saturation has done the trick on the rusted in bolts. Just got three remaining bolts whose heads had rusted off and the second manifold will be off.

Can anyone tell me what the best gaskets are and what type of head bolts to use putting in mind that I will be fitting headers when I get a pair. On that note will full length headers fit or am I stuck with the more expensive shorty ta's? Also what are the actual sizes of bolts (four currently have no heads!)

If the gaskets will be used with the headers, try to find some "black" ones that have the more substantial material and wire reinforcements in them. When the header bolt might get a little loose, they will not blow out as the "white" and softer ones will (which must then be replaced--ack!) so you can just tighten things down again and go on. More pricey, but worth it--if you can find them. They also tolerate high heat better.

As for bolts, you might look for some Grade 8 bolts (all Allen head bolts are Grade 8) or get some of the head bolts which are configured to use E-clip attachments (or similar) too keep the bolts tight.

Glad the penetrant worked for you!

NTX5467

I just purchased a pair of headers from TA Performance for my 73 Centurion Convertible 455. They are chrome and came with gaskets and 3/8" 12 point bolts for $325.00. I don't have them on yet because I'm only on day three with the PB Blaster on the manifold bolts. But, I'm very pleased with the quality of the headers. They appear to fit with no problem.