1935 Buick Series 40 Brake Linings

AussieTim

Hi All,

New to the forum here.

I want to replace the brake linings on my 1935 Buick Series 40. However, I can't find anywhere that sells linings or shoes specifically for my car. 

I can find soft lining for sale by the foot, however, the Buick service manual indicates that the car should have molded hard linings.  

Any advice ?

Thanks so much.

Tim

With mechanical brakes, I prefer woven lining.  In my opinion, it gives better braking force.  The trade off is that the woven lining does not last as long as molded lining.  You may get 8,000 miles on molded lining as opposed to 4,000 miles on woven.  I prefer to stop faster and reline more frequently.  Also, there are many different hardnesses  in molded lining leading to much difference in braking force.

Bob Engle

• Like 1

Bob - thank you for your reply. 

I had read that soft linings are better with mechanical brakes and the car isn't high mileage so I'm not worried about faster wear.  

I also rather like the idea of learning the art of relining brake shoes.

Thank you again.

Tim

Tim, be aware of the Australian Border Security / Customs on their Zero Tolerance to asbestos in imported goods.  You need to make sure any product bought outside Australia does not contain any and is supported by documented evidence.  Check their website.   Contact someone like Clutch and Brake Australia to ask if they can reline yours.

I agree , go with the soft option.