Transmission slipping into neutral while in reverse

Hello all,

First off, sorry for not being Buick related but I do frequent this board since my other car is a Buick and I need help quick. This problem is with my 1993 Mazda 626 ES.

The Mazda has v6 engine /w automatic transmission and about 85,000m. When I step on the gas in reverse and goes above 1500rpm, the transmission pops into neutral and will shift back into reverse below 1000rpm. Also, if I let the car accelerate in reverse without applying gas and then apply the breaks, the tranny jerks with authority! It feels like the transmission shifts into neutral and back into reverse.

Any suggestions before I visit my mechanic?

Thanks,

James

94 Buick Roadmaster Wagon

93 Mazda 626 ES

Sounds like a valve body issue, as you mentioned engine rpm (which would influence line pressures and such in the transmission itself). Could be a leaking gasket/seal issue that would be fixed with new seal items or be a warped valve body that needs replacing. Could also be the shift valves and their related springs that calibrate when things happen. I suspect it will not be a manual shift linkage issue if you see no movement on the shift lever, unless there's something loose internally in that respect. There could be something that's more specific to the particular transmission in that vehicle, so I'm speaking in generalities that could affect most any automatic transmission.

I recommend you get that car to a reputable trans shop or the dealer and get it fixed before it causes more problems or property damage. Might plan on a full overhaul while you're at it too.

NTX5467

Thanks for the heads up!

Mechanic said the tranny needs to be rebuilt. It's going to cost $2100CDN.

The rebuild should also fix the jerking problem from 1-2nd which started to act up 30,000m ago. Most often, I ease up on the gas just before the 1-2nd shift to avoid the 'jerky' shift. I guess this was a sign of major tranny problems down the road. I always thought the forward gears would go before reverse!

I'm going to trade in this wreck for something GM! Always something goes wrong every few months unlike the Buick which has been trouble free except for one unscheduled repair - computer problem. The Buick is built like a tank and still runs like new with 88,000m.

Thanks,

James

94 Buick Roadmaster Wagon

93 Mazda 626 ES