Houk / Wire Wheel Corp. Of Ammerica hub cap wrench

roysboystoys

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Your orphan wheel spanner needs a car a bit smaller than a Stutz.    Stutz used Houk #5 size,  but they changed from that style to an  interchangeable wheel nut as to size and thread pitch ,  some time before the last of the detacheable cylinder head T head fours in the 1920s.   If my memory is correct, Ian Smith's special 1918 Bearcat had that style wheel nuts, but considerably larger.  (  Ian's crank shaft had a longer stroke than standard)'.  The Hayes wire wheels of my Roamer Duesenberg are the same #5 standard , , but the material is a white bronze because of nickel content, no doubt;  and the thread pitch is different.  On the #5 size,  the measurement across the sides of the hexagon is 3 1/4 inch which is considerably larger than your spanner.   Hudson and Buick were also among optional users of #5 Houk.   There were smaller Houk wheels , including possibly Templar and HCS which I believe were # 4.5,, and #4 were smaller again as sometimes used by such as Hupmobile.   Very small Houk were used after-market on T Ford speedster types; but they were much smaller than your spanner size.  I hope this gives you some guidance.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:47 PM, Ivan Saxton said:

Your orphan wheel spanner needs a car a bit smaller than a Stutz.    Stutz used Houk #5 size,  but they changed from that style to an  interchangeable wheel nut as to size and thread pitch ,  some time before the last of the detacheable cylinder head T head fours in the 1920s.   If my memory is correct, Ian Smith's special 1918 Bearcat had that style wheel nuts, but considerably larger.  (  Ian's crank shaft had a longer stroke than standard)'.  The Hayes wire wheels of my Roamer Duesenberg are the same #5 standard , , but the material is a white bronze because of nickel content, no doubt;  and the thread pitch is different.  On the #5 size,  the measurement across the sides of the hexagon is 3 1/4 inch which is considerably larger than your spanner.   Hudson and Buick were also among optional users of #5 Houk.   There were smaller Houk wheels , including possibly Templar and HCS which I believe were # 4.5,, and #4 were smaller again as sometimes used by such as Hupmobile.   Very small Houk were used after-market on T Ford speedster types; but they were much smaller than your spanner size.  I hope this gives you some guidance.

Thanks for the education. I used ebay ads for my info, it was on the internet , so it had to be right ! 

I figured anyone interested would know more then me and decide if it was correct. 

It seems this was more for the Overland wheels? I see where they are refitted to  Model T Fords.

Looks like that market has diminished , but I saw some ads for $125 for this wrench.

I'm aware the market is small , but hopeful it will connect with someone in need

Thanks again

Roy