alternators

I have a '64 NYKR with bad single field alternator...I have been told that a later 2 field connection alternator will work ( I have 2 known good units in my parts stash)..I looked at my '74 Chrysler and see that 1 lead goes to V/R and other field lead goes to ignition computer..QUESTION..can someone please tell me how to wire the 2 field alternator to the '64 harness..TIA

Seems like you ground the extra field terminal to the alternator case -- or tie the two leads together. On the pre-lean burn cars, the extra lead usually went to the electric choke heater or similar.

Look in www.allpar.com website for the address to the Chrysler product Usenet newsgroup. There certainly are some people in there that can verify how to make them work. There are some FAQs in that deal that might verify the information you need.

Other than the advantage of an alternator with some extra amps and better cooling of the regulator area, they work the same. I understand the orientation of using what you have in stock . . . Seems like it's pretty easy to change brushes and such on the Chrysler alternators so it might be easier in the long run to get your rebuilt at a reputable shop.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

On the old style alternator,one brush is grounded and the other brush is wired to the regulator which supplies a variable voltage to excite the rotor.All you have to do on the newer style is to make a short wire from one brush to a good ground and wire the other brush to the regulator.Hope this helps.Carlnut50